I Don't Need A Bumper Sticker For Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
Isn't a simple marking of the tank with the O2% (or if trimix O2 and He %) adequate? who says it has to be a HUGE sticker with NITROX?

I think part of the problem is because SCUBA Diving is fast becoming a "fashionable" sport. Look at all the brightly colored gear you can buy, and all the little trinkets to adorn that gear.

The big "NITROX" sticker is like a merit badge, a status symbol to some people. Hey! Look at me! I dive NITROX!

The Divers who really understand their equipment and the requirements that go with it, know that all that is required is a valid VIP sticker and a contents sticker. Unfortunately, it seems the vast majority, including a lot of shops, are setting their own "standards" and trying to force them on everyone. :shakehead

in_cavediver:
Since others have identified with the CGA labeling, I'll go along with that for now. I mandate ONLY cga approved labeling be used for the tanks and trust me, that silly nitrox band isn't CGA approved for a tank label. It simply doesn't convey meaningful information, such as the actual contents of the tank.

here is an interesting link on CGA standards for labeling, use and storage. Its not the actual CGA phamplets but hey, google found this one quick.

SO, now that we are going to label scuba tanks via CGA standards, let talk about what is really required. First, what is required on the label. We need contents, hazard data, supplier information, spill/leak containment and information regarding the MSDS sheet for it right? (does the MSDS come in plastic card to take with me on a dive?) What about toxicity for use while diving?

Don't even start to think about color coding - which is also used and suggested by CGA.

Your link is for an interpretation of OSHA rules. These posts are a good sounding board for educating the diving public. OSHA and the DOT don't care about "I think this is stupid" "Darwin will sort them out" etc. In today's litigious society these issues are real and the potential to get drawn into them exists

Honestly, this whole debate on whether to have a sticker or not have a sticker leaves me confused. Why will a fill station not fill a tank that doesn't have a Nitrox sticker but does have the O2 clean status sticker on it... Then, they say, buy this $8 sticker and we will fill it. Sounds to me like another money maker for the dive shops!

"Buy my sticker or you don't get your tanks filled!", that my friend, is what the dive shops are saying!

I guess I will just buy my own compressor and O2 fill station and show those pricks. . . .:D

frankc420:
Honestly, this whole debate on whether to have a sticker or not have a sticker leaves me confused. Why will a fill station not fill a tank that doesn't have a Nitrox sticker but does have the O2 clean status sticker on it... Then, they say, buy this $8 sticker and we will fill it. Sounds to me like another money maker for the dive shops!

"Buy my sticker or you don't get your tanks filled!", that my friend, is what the dive shops are saying!
The shop I get nitrox at doesn't do that.

You don't even need O2 cleaned tanks to get nitrox at the shop I go to. :eyebrow:

Yes Howard, but that's because they are filling with banked nitrox. If they were partial pressure filling, they would require O2 clean tanks.

Walter:
Yes Howard, but that's because they are filling with banked nitrox. If they were partial pressure filling, they would require O2 clean tanks.
I probably should have mentioned that :)

The problem arises when we travel to the Keys and we bring our own tanks. My steel tanks are O2 Cleaned, but Michelle's Al 80s are not.

Back
Top Bottom