I Don't Need A Bumper Sticker For Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up my two new Worthington HP100 tanks. Both were set up as O2 clean. I would be able to use them for NITROX when needed, but I always planned on using "clean" air most of the time. I wondered about the NITROX labels. When I went to get the tanks, the shop owner showed me the VIP sticker marked O2 clean and told me I did not have to put on the NITROX band if I did not want to. The VIP sticker would be good enough.

I guess I need to start selling plastic nitrox stickers (without the sticky on the back), with 4 suction cups on each corner for shops that require a sticker that says nitrox.

Charlie99:
The VIP sticker may be enough to tell you and the owner of the tank that it may not contain air, but is it sufficient labeling to prevent the inadvertant use of the tank by a diver that has OW certification and nothing else?

The intent of the bumper sticker is to be obvious enough that there is negligible chance of it being erroneously used by another diver that thinks it is air. When you think of the bumper stickers as performing this function, then it makes sense that many fill operations require bumper stickers on single tanks, but don't require them on a double set.

Give me a break, this is protecting idiots from themselves. I suppose you are in favor of the new EU rules for having nitrox threads and air threads?? This is the problem with the freaking "modern" countries. People (in genernal) can no longer think nor take responsibility for themselves. If you are a diver of any type before using any cylinder of any type should do some basic inspections before using it. One of those inspections should to look for a any type of labeling. If you are not doing this then quite frankly you deserve what you get - Darwin be damned!!

This is just another case of how the scuba industry can not self regulate.

Here is another great example - they are replacing left turn lights in many places with a new light cause people no longer seem to to understand that turngin left on a solid should be done with caution. So we are paying for people's stupidity!!!!!!!!

frankc420:
I guess I need to start selling plastic nitrox stickers (without the sticky on the back), with 4 suction cups on each corner for shops that require a sticker that says nitrox.

Naw make them say VooDoo gas. :D

Scared Silly:
Here is another great example - they are replacing left turn lights in many places with a new light cause people no longer seem to to understand that turngin left on a solid should be done with caution. So we are paying for people's stupidity!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads about the left turns- no wonder all those drivers were giving me the Hawaiian good luck sign! :D

Apples and oranges. The CFR requirements apply to tanks being used by gas suppliers to package and transport their wares, and hence must be marked for the contents, same as a can of chicken soup has to be labeled for what's inside it. Even if the reg you reference did apply to privately owned scuba tanks, it is worth noting that the labels routinely affixed by gas supplier to commercial tanks are quite small, about the size of the contents labels that any reputable shop or diver will put on a tank of mix. The contents tag on a scuba tank also, like the ones on commercial tanks, identifies EXACTLY what is in the tank, unlike wraps which identify it in only the most general of terms. So while I agree that it would be highly irresponsible of a shop not to see that a tank is labeled for conencts, if a contents label is truely required by the CFR, then a simple little contents sticker or tape should do the job nicely.

Now about the bands, when I run into this situation I usually use some of the yellow duct tape I keep for contents tags, and make my own wraps on the spot.

royalediver:
CGA rule (3.1.1) which list 29 CFR 1910.1200(f) (9) states

"the labels applied by the gas supplier to identify the conatiner contents shall not be defaced or removed by the user until the cylinder is empty with the provisions of 29 CFR 1910.1200(f)(9)

Putting a nitrox label is prudent. If you fell off the planet tomorrow most would assume air is in the tank. The risk is not to you but for those who follow. There are volumes of CGA/DOT documents to back up the stores request to label the cylinder.

Scared Silly:
Give me a break, this is protecting idiots from themselves. I suppose you are in favor of the new EU rules for having nitrox threads and air threads??
Not really, no more than I'm in favor of having different threads on the valves for oxygen, acetalyne and propane tanks. I prefer them all the same so I can mix and match as desired. Makes life more interesting. Same for the color codes on the various gas cylinders. I'm literate and can read. Those that can't and hook up the wrong welding tanks deserve what they get. Why should we bother making things easy for everyone?

I'm simply pointing out the rationale behind the markings, which is missed by the posters saying "I know what's in my tanks".

do it easy:
Then I checked out the tanks- one was a low pressure and the other was high pressure, but he was filling them from the same manifold and intended to fill them to the same pressure. too much information!!

Man. I am getting a new tank delivered and I was thinking I should mark it somehow to prevent mistakes.

royalediver:
CGA rule (3.1.1) which list 29 CFR 1910.1200(f) (9) states

"the labels applied by the gas supplier to identify the conatiner contents shall not be defaced or removed by the user until the cylinder is empty with the provisions of 29 CFR 1910.1200(f)(9)

Putting a nitrox label is prudent. If you fell off the planet tomorrow most would assume air is in the tank. The risk is not to you but for those who follow. There are volumes of CGA/DOT documents to back up the stores request to label the cylinder.

Oh boy, I am in so much trouble....
I put a huge "Child in car" sticker on my tank to make it easily identifiable. This means some poor uninformed OW diver might assume there was a child in my tank, and call child protection services!

Seriously, if you grab someone else's tank (lets assume without their permission, otherwise they would have told you it contained nitrox) and dive with it without finding out what it contained, you are negligent at best....

Back
Top Bottom