I Don't Need A Bumper Sticker For Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlsooner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just wanted to post a problematic encounter I had last weekend.

A couple of months ago, I purchased some Worthington tanks from Fill Express. The tanks have a nice green VIP sticker that clearly states they are clean for oxygen service. But Fill Express recommends against sticking other large NITROX stickers on the tanks to prevent corrosion. Furthermore, these large stickers are not required, and actually don't do any good to prevent the wrong tank being filled since anyone can buy these nitrox bumper stickers at a dive shop and put them on any tank.

Last weekend I needed to obtain fills before going out on a trip in Miami. I did not have time to get gas at Fill Express, so I went to the dive shop that ran the boat I was going out on. As I walk in, the employee who was filling nitrox tanks asked if I needed air. The following exchange ensued:

Me: I need to get some nitrox in my tanks (note small stickers were still on them indicating previous fill was 32%)

Employee: I can't put nitrox in those tanks, they don't have a nitrox sticker, as he points to the large bumper stickers he has for sale.

Me: You don't need one of those stickers for nitrox, besides, this VIP clearly states these tanks are oxygen clean.

Employee: I don't care what that little sticker says, I am not putting nitrox in those tanks without one of these (pointing to bumper stickers) on your tank.

Me: Well Fill Express, the premiere technical diving gas filler in the area has no problem putting nitrox in these tanks.

Employee: Well they obviously don't know what they are doing.

Me: Okay, if your air is nitrox clean, then just give me air (smiling and realizing this is going nowhere)

How can a person be allowed to fill tanks with nitrox and have no clue what a VIP sticker means?

You should be proud to live in a Country where people can be ignorant and not be held accountable.
Actually, you might get a call from the ACLU because you traumatised the lad by questioning him on something he is an "expert" on.
Then an appearance on the Tonight show where you can apologize to Al Sharpton for your deplorable behavior.
Then our Government can shower the poor abused one with Disability for life at everyones expense.
Can you see what you started here?

You prick!! How dare you he works at the shop, what do you know. . . you are just a dumb consumer. . . :popcorn:

:joke:

jhbryaniv:
You prick!! How dare you he works at the shop, what do you know. . . you are just a dumb consumer. . . :popcorn:
:joke:

Last time I fill your tanks John! :eyebrow:

hlsooner:
Just wanted to post a problematic encounter I had last weekend.

A couple of months ago, I purchased some Worthington tanks from Fill Express. The tanks have a nice green VIP sticker that clearly states they are clean for oxygen service. But Fill Express recommends against sticking other large NITROX stickers on the tanks to prevent corrosion. Furthermore, these large stickers are not required, and actually don't do any good to prevent the wrong tank being filled since anyone can buy these nitrox bumper stickers at a dive shop and put them on any tank.

Last weekend I needed to obtain fills before going out on a trip in Miami. I did not have time to get gas at Fill Express, so I went to the dive shop that ran the boat I was going out on. As I walk in, the employee who was filling nitrox tanks asked if I needed air. The following exchange ensued:

Me: I need to get some nitrox in my tanks (note small stickers were still on them indicating previous fill was 32%)

Employee: I can't put nitrox in those tanks, they don't have a nitrox sticker, as he points to the large bumper stickers he has for sale.

Me: You don't need one of those stickers for nitrox, besides, this VIP clearly states these tanks are oxygen clean.

Employee: I don't care what that little sticker says, I am not putting nitrox in those tanks without one of these (pointing to bumper stickers) on your tank.

Me: Well Fill Express, the premiere technical diving gas filler in the area has no problem putting nitrox in these tanks.

Employee: Well they obviously don't know what they are doing.

Me: Okay, if your air is nitrox clean, then just give me air (smiling and realizing this is going nowhere)

How can a person be allowed to fill tanks with nitrox and have no clue what a VIP sticker means?

Very simple. His fill station. His rules. You have to do it his way if you get fills from his station. Very short-sighted for a commercial business, but this wouldn't be the first time we have heard about short-sighted dive operations. He is just following his rules, based on his understanding. Oh well.

Phil Ellis

He obviously doesn't want your money. You need to find a better dive shop.

I was at a dive shop that had a new employee that was filling two tanks with nitrox by partial pressure blending. He was pretty new and I don't think he was a diver.

He was filling them using a chart- OK so far so good.

I was curious so I took a look at the VIP and Hydro dates- One was out of VIP and the other was out of hydro. getting warmer....

Then I checked out the tanks- one was a low pressure and the other was high pressure, but he was filling them from the same manifold and intended to fill them to the same pressure. too much information!!

I didn't bother to check if the tanks were O2 clean or not because it was time to go.

The customer had dropped the tanks off and was going to pick them up later- beware any tanks that the owner doesn't want to be around while they are filled. :D

vablackwater:
Last time I fill your tanks John! :eyebrow:

By the time I am back you will have forgotten :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom