I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been comparing the teeth I found on last Sunday to my ID card I have for fossil sharks teeth and the two large teeth are beginning to look more like lower jaw Great White teeth rather than lower jaw Mako. I base this on the root not being a deep enough V-shape and the blade being fairly wide with the sides tapering out to the edge of the root. From the image I have of the lower Mako teeth they look almost like an over sized lemon shark upper, just a little flatter and of course larger.

Attachments

• venice_megs2_1024.jpg
    venice_megs2_1024.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 111
  • id_chart_part.jpg
    id_chart_part.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 86
The two you have displayed above the quarter are Makos. One is a upper (with white root) and the other is a lower mako. Great White have a distinctive serration up each side of the tooth. The picutre in the card doesn't show them. I wish it was as well. I got so excited I ran and had to look.
Here are some pictures that might help a little better. Granted both roots look the same. I picked them out special so you could see.
The first picture is of a great white and you can see the serrations on the side. Second picture is of the great white complete.
Third picture is of a mako,no serrations
Fourth picture is both teeth together. You can see the difference when you put them together,
Yes shark teeth are very hard to id and I have to ask sometimes myself.
Thanks for sharing. Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• DSC02332.JPG
    DSC02332.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02333.JPG
    DSC02333.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC02334.JPG
    DSC02334.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC02335.JPG
    DSC02335.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that about the Great White teeth. I hope to find one some day. I can certainly see the confusion though because the picture on the guide doesn't look at all like the real thing. In fact it looks like they used another mako to take a picture of probably thinking no one would notice.

can anyone help I am tring to post a pic for ID and I cannot get anywhere, is there an easy way. I have tried to follow in the help area and have pics in the manage area how do you get them to post. Thanks Karl

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0793.jpg
    IMG_0793.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 102
The last picture is a whale tooth. I need to see the ends of the first three please. Location would help as well.

Thanks, It can get confusing at times. But thats why you have fossilbabe. Hehehehe. Yes the card doesnt show it but Great whites are hard to find in this area. If you go up to north florida they are more common. I have only found 10 in the years I have been collecting until a couple of months ago. Found 10 just at one site. This is a landsite. The first tooth I found was a great white which is the one pictured above. The other one that I have as a prize is the one I have done with the gold and I wear all the time. So the next time your out on the boat ask to see it. Nothing like holding one in your hands.

will do I have it at another location will take a pic it is unusual Thanks Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom