I.D. Your Fossils

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean you have a job? Just kidding!!! I know you work like I do and dive every chance you get. Good for us. This is why we live in Florida. See you soon my friend.

Were you able to look at the pictures in the slide show link FossilBabe? Those show it from every angle. I will try to bring it with me for the dive.

Found these right off Venice Beach last week, I have seen these before but really don't know what they are.

Attachments

• whale bones 001.jpg
    whale bones 001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 189
A shell of some kind I am assuming? It has been cleaned up. I am not sure if it is a fossil, or if it's manmade.

Just wanted to show off my meg tooth...not complete, but it's still a cool find (and it made my hubby jealous he didn't find it) :D

Attachments

• IMGP0896.jpg
    IMGP0896.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMGP0897.jpg
    IMGP0897.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP0899.jpg
    IMGP0899.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP0904.jpg
    IMGP0904.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 97
A shell of some kind I am assuming? It has been cleaned up. I am not sure if it is a fossil, or if it's manmade.

Just wanted to show off my meg tooth...not complete, but it's still a cool find (and it made my hubby jealous he didn't find it) :D

The shell is a cast of a shell that was made by dirt/sand entering the shell and after the shell itself dissolved away, the cast remains. I have several fossil scallops that are the same kind.

the meg is cool looking :)

Now it's up to your hubby to find one!

K my turn.
We got these guys today. I m thinking
the big slab is turtle shell, but its a nice thick
pc almost 3/4 in thick and the round guy i think
is whale ear bone, its still in the process of cleaning
but that pink stuff is a pain to get off. Its about the
size of a donut and swirled on both sides.
If you need to see, i can bring em to the party
next week. Cant wait!

Attachments

• shells 006.jpg
    shells 006.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 123
  • shells 010.jpg
    shells 010.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 108
  • shells 012.jpg
    shells 012.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 98
First picture is a leaverite!!! (leave it right where you found it) The second picture is whale( frag of rib) third picture is whale,meg,frag of a meg,leaverite.

LOL I cant put it back now. I just got it all cleaned up. And thats a rib bone? wow
its huge. Make a nice paper weight.

Hey Paperweights can be good. I have a few here myself. I also tell people that if you find it you can call it anything you want.. Its half the fun.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom