HydrosPro Hydros Pro Men vs. Women model difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find out if there really is a difference between Men's and Women's model for the HydrosPro. I know what their description says so please no speculations.

From what I can gather, SP offers following sizes for their HP parts (men/women not distinguished);

* Back plate/Wing - 32LB, 40LB lift
* Shoulder strap - small, medium, large
* Waist strap (integrated weights) - small, medium, large, x-large
* Waist strap (travel) - small, medium, large, x-large

I believe all the different sizes for Men AND Women are created from the parts above. So there really is no difference between men's and women's model.

I would like to confirm my thesis by someone who is more familiar with HP.

Thank you in advance!

The shoulder straps are shaped differently for the men's versus women's.

I'm not sure about the back plate portion. Well, really, I'm not sure if either of the waist straps are different either.

@stuartv

Thanks for the reply, but I would like to ask you if you had a chance to compare the women's strap(shoulder) next to men's? I'm not doubting you, I just want to confirm.

I understand SP catalog and brochure states that "shoulder straps are designed for women" but I believe they mean that their neoprene strap contour around women better. Not that they have a different designs for men and women.

My speculation above comes from the fact that my online research shows only three part numbers for the shoulder straps.

21.793.100 - STRAP SHOULDER, HYDROS/MAXI
21.793.101 - STRAP SHOULDER, HYDROS/MIDI
21.793.102 - STRAP SHOULDER, HYDROS/MINI

I was not able to find different part numbers for women's and men's straps, for ANY of the straps (shoulder, waist w/integrated, waist w/o integrated). Now, it's very possible that there are different parts for women's and men's but I was not able to find them.

This is why I am seeking to get more information from someone with direct knowledge or experience with women's HP.

I am a male and I got a really good deal on a women's large Hydros. I compared it to a men's medium and I couldn't tell any difference. The only difference that I did find is the pink inside to indicate it is a women's. Since I was able to get it for less than half the price of a men's medium, I bought it. After about 50 dives with it, it is my favorite bc that I have used. Even liked it much better than the Halcyon Infinitive backplate and wing I had before.

I want to clarify something. There is a "difference" between Men's model and Women's model, but I believe the PARTS are the same. I listed all the different parts/sizes(that I was able to find) available on my first post.

I believe they mix and match parts above to create the different sizes for Men's sizes and Women's sizes. Something like below (wing capacity is actual from SP catalog, rest is my guess).

Men's HydrosPro BCD SMALL - 40LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Small waist straps
Men's HydrosPro BCD MEDIUM - 40LB wing, Medium shoulder straps, Medium waist straps

Women's HydrosPro BCD SMALL - 32LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Small waist straps
Women's HydrosPro BCD MEDIUM - 32LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Medium waist straps

@soonerwink

What is the "pink" that's different? Is it the paper that has the serial #? I'm just curious.

@soonerwink

What is the "pink" that's different? Is it the paper that has the serial #? I'm just curious.
There is a slot in the middle at the bottom of the backplate that shows a pink strap underneath. It's only about an inch long and a 1/4 inch wide. The mens shows a blue colored strap.

I want to clarify something. There is a "difference" between Men's model and Women's model, but I believe the PARTS are the same. I listed all the different parts/sizes(that I was able to find) available on my first post.

I believe they mix and match parts above to create the different sizes for Men's sizes and Women's sizes. Something like below (wing capacity is actual from SP catalog, rest is my guess).

Men's HydrosPro BCD SMALL - 40LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Small waist straps
Men's HydrosPro BCD MEDIUM - 40LB wing, Medium shoulder straps, Medium waist straps

Women's HydrosPro BCD SMALL - 32LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Small waist straps
Women's HydrosPro BCD MEDIUM - 32LB wing, Small shoulder straps, Medium waist straps
I wear a men's medium and the women's large had the same size wing and straps as the men's medium. I bought it from a dive shop owner/instructor, that is about the same size as I am. Maybe even a little larger. I had bought a drysuit of hers in the past, so I knew it would probably fit.

Correct, Women's LARGE is the only 40LB wing for Women's sizes... All men's sizes are 40LB.

So my guess now is;

Women's LARGE = 40LB wing, Medium shoulder straps, Medium waist straps = Men's MEDIUM

Thanks again for the info @soonerwink!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom