Hydrooptix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been reading about the HydroOptix and this thread for a couple of days and I'm still on the fence. I'm also nearsighted but my prescription is not that strong. I'm a -1.00 in both eyes for glasses but my contacts are even lower at -0.75. It seems like the 4.5 is going to be much too strong for me.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while. Hopefully someone can give me a clue.

Thanks

I've been reading about the HydroOptix and this thread for a couple of days and I'm still on the fence. I'm also nearsighted but my prescription is not that strong. I'm a -1.00 in both eyes for glasses but my contacts are even lower at -0.75. It seems like the 4.5 is going to be much too strong for me.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while. Hopefully someone can give me a clue.

Thanks

What's the question? With a prescription that mild, you definitely will have to wear contacts with the HydroOptix. I'm nearly the same as you (-.75, -1.25) and if I was using the HO mask, I'd need contacts. I tried it at a demo, hoping, but they were right... I'd need contacts.

If you already wear contacts, though, that may not be a big deal for you, since you're used to it. Cheap disposables in the modified prescription, and you're good to go.

What's the question? With a prescription that mild, you definitely will have to wear contacts with the HydroOptix. I'm nearly the same as you (-.75, -1.25) and if I was using the HO mask, I'd need contacts. I tried it at a demo, hoping, but they were right... I'd need contacts.

If you already wear contacts, though, that may not be a big deal for you, since you're used to it. Cheap disposables in the modified prescription, and you're good to go.

I was just talking to the authorized optician in my area and he advised me that I still do need to wear contacts to take me to the desired "setting". Good thing is that he has a loaner unit that I can borrow for the weekend so I think I'll be testing it out. :D

Hi guys...

I'm too looking at getting this mask, I'm at the -2.00 on both eyes, and wearing contacts for that extra -0.50 seems a little mad...

I'm tempted to get one anyway and see how bad it will be...

looks like the 3.5 is stuck in never land, 2 years ? Hope it becomes available and some of the leaking issues are fixed... waiting ...

Hydrooptix, the best mask for the 5% of divers who can wear them! Great concept, the lens fit my eyes, but the seal wasn't there. I am glad not to be the proud owner of this mask. They are on the right track, just not there quite yet. They need an interchangeable skirt to fit the diver's face.

Hydrooptix, the best mask for the 5% of divers who can wear them! Great concept, the lens fit my eyes, but the seal wasn't there. I am glad not to be the proud owner of this mask. They are on the right track, just not there quite yet. They need an interchangeable skirt to fit the diver's face.

You know they have like 4 or 5 different mask skirts, right?

4 or 5 skirts? I thought it was just 2. I just jumped on 1 from ebay for a great deal. I'm Mr. gotta have everything scuba, so I just couldn't wait any longer. I have 20/20 vision, so I'm even going to have to do the contact thing. A little freaked out by that, but a nice little 15 foot depth shore dive in South Florida should be the perfect testing place without feeling overwhelmed. I'll post a review when I get a chance to dive it.

Hey Sly_Guy - get your contacts and we'll dive together, i have a HydrOptix -4.5 that I no longer wear and would be willing to share for a dive buddy to check out (my wife loves it! Her script is the same as mine was before I had Lasix). :)

Prior to Lasix I had the opportunity to put a LOT of dives on this mask with a mix from fun fossiling dives to deeper dives on the Keys wrecks and even DM training. Surface side it was a challenge for me since I had a -4.25 script. However, once submerged, my vision was amazing! I saw things I missed before. I had peripheral that I didn't realize was missing before, and comfort with the skirt is incredible.

I liked the mask so much I called Jon Kranhouse to learn more about it! While the average diver can have these great benefits, the photographer or videographer will enjoy it even more as you'll see things that may have otherwise been missed by the 'tunnel' vision of the other styles of mask.

They make a -3.5 dome and a Flat. I'm eager to try the flat mask as I'm missing all the bonuses vision wise I had before!

Hey Jon, how was that?? Just kidding, I wouldn't write it if I didn't have experience and mean it!

Back
Top Bottom