Hydrooptix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom - thanks for the concern. My wife actually loves to dive. She's the one who signed us up for OW and plans our dive outings. :D But she still has a little claustophobic problem, and I thought this might help her out. BTW - my wife is a warm water and definitely a "easy" diver only. She wants to get her AOW and rescue diver and that's it. BTW - she already has her drysuit and all of her gears (minus tanks) :D She actually enjoys diving N. California water.

Jon - I don't have her Rx handy but I think they are in the -1.75/-2.00 range for both eyes. I know that when I was looking at the 4.5DD - it would not work for her. I am hoping that the 3.5DD would work for her.

JonKranhouse:
...SeaYoda -- sorry you have leaking problems. As you also don't have a NanoFOG lens, yours is an earlier mask. Since then we've made changes at the factory. Phone us and we can explain what to do to resecure the frame, which should prevent leaks.
I'll give you guys a call and give you a hard time about not having my 3.5 ready yet :D.

It would be nice to stop the drip so I hope you can help.

Hi SeaYoda,

Of course your avatar gives me chills! I'm now in Taiwan for a week, to deal with some "challenges and opportunities" (AKA problems). Nothing insurmountable. As the saying goes, "If it were easy...yada yada," Yoda. I digress... jet lag is catching up!

The realities of developing new products for scuba requires collaborations with vendor-companies who balance their schedules among their multiple customers. And the Chinese New Year approaches (year of the pig)... when many businesses in Taiwan shut down for 2+ weeks at the end of Feb. Argh!!! And we just want to go diving. And for those interested, yes, I really did try 100% US-based manufacturing, which is sadly impractical nowadays for some of the parts we are making.

JonKranhouse:
Hi SeaYoda,
Of course your avatar gives me chills! ...
Here's the real me - don't I resemble the avatar quite a bit? :D

resistance.jpg

I have not had a chance to call about the leak yet - I have not been diving either :shakehead . I hope things went well on your trip, I'm still waiting for that big announcement that the 3.5 is alive!

Seeing that picture reminded me of one small downside of my hydrooptix mask ...

I dive part time for a glass bottom boat tour. On one of my dives the other day my bright yellow Hydrooptix mask (or was it my face?) scared one of the little children on board who cried for the next 30 minutes of the tour :( oh well ... I'll keep wearing it :wink:

kidspot:
Seeing that picture reminded me of one small downside of my hydrooptix mask ...

I dive part time for a glass bottom boat tour. On one of my dives the other day my bright yellow Hydrooptix mask (or was it my face?) scared one of the little children on board who cried for the next 30 minutes of the tour :( oh well ... I'll keep wearing it :wink:
What are you trying to say about how I look in the mask ??????? :D

I called HO today and Bob helped me to find what may be a solution to my loose skirt (that doesn't sound right, but you get the idea). There is an outer part of the frame (clear in my case) and an inner part of the frame (black in my case). The two snap together at the top above where my eyebrows are. This snapping pinches the skirt in place and seals the mask. My mask was not snapped on either side. I snapped it back in place and Bob suggests I glue the two pieces together. It would be great if this is the solution. I'll post back whether the operation is a success or not.

SeaYoda:
Here's the real me - don't I resemble the avatar quite a bit? :D

resistance.jpg

I have not had a chance to call about the leak yet - I have not been diving either :shakehead . I hope things went well on your trip, I'm still waiting for that big announcement that the 3.5 is alive!
sorry but, i must admit if i had to choose who is better looking, i'd have to give my vote to yoda, love the mask tho, lol, ken

I purchased a 4.5 last December. Luckily for me I both wear contacts AND have a diving Optometrist who's office is a couple of blocks from mine. I tried the mask in a local indoor pool and it was great. Although, I only had a few minutes since the pool was very busy.

I ordered a set of purple glasses and got a call from Terry Macay of HydroOptix who actually worked with my Doctors to ensure that I got the correct fit.

In January I took the mask and my glasses to Cozumel. The view was fantastic, however I was having two problems, leaking and fogging. When I returned, I sent a picture of me in my mask to HydroOptix and mentioned the fogging and leaking. Terry called me immediately to assist. It seems that my optometrist sold me one of the original masks without the nanofog coating. She told me that it was perfectly good as long as I cleaned it with toothpaste (which I finally did) but I still decided to order a replacement lens with the coating form them. We also discussed solutions to the leaks, which were relatively minor.

Then I took the mask on a Western Caribbean cruise. I dove Fort Lauderdale, Grand Cayman, Aruba, Play Del Carmen and Cozumel. I can say, that I do not think I could go back to my flat mask. The unobstructed views are fantastic.

The only issue I still had was leaking. I finally traced this back to the lower edge around my nose. I tightened the lower screws and this seemed to take care of the leaks. Now that my mask is dry and clear, it is fantastic. I do not have the neck strain from twisting my head back and forth to see everything that I sometimes got form a long dive. I can see my gauges clearly as well as distant objects.

I want to say, that the HydroOptix Company has been extremely active in making sure I have a great experience with the mask. When I sent my photo in to them, Terry called me to discuss what could be done to correct the problems. I did not have to ask them.

If every company went as far as they do, it would be a different world. I highly recommend the mask to anyone. We spend fantastically huge sums of money to go diving. If you take the entire cost of a dive trip and divide it by the minutes we are actually under, I think we might all stop diving. Given that the experience is largely a visual one, anything I can heighten that visual experience, I will do. The HydroOptix mask does just that.

It is a hassle wearing contacts, but not an inordinately challenging one. The gain far exceeds the hassle of carrying an extra set of contacts just for diving. My hat is off to everyone at HydroOptix for providing such a unique upgrade to our scuba avocation. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom