Hydrooptix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about scratches? I've never seen ANY lenses other than glass with satisfactory scratch resistance. No matter how hard I try to avoid it, I often end up with sand in bad places. It would kill me to spend so much money on something and have it be useless after one dive.

Other than that, to me the obvious solution is that a whole bunch of you people need to start buying these masks so the price will come down enough for cheap-os like me to get one.

Where to start - first I have a HydroOptix mask. I have scratches, but they are nominal and basically invisible underwater. On the surface it looks a bit rough though.. but not so bad its not workable.

Tell yawl what, I'll do a write up on this mask from a geeky dive guys perspective and I've contacted Jon to gain some more indepth knowlege on parts of the mask so I just don't call a part "thingy" or "doohicky" :)

I was looking into the mask too. I seem to remember reading that replacement lenses don't cost that much.

Hi all,

A lens replacement kit retails for $25:
New Lens (NanoFOG coating inside, hard coat -- same as an auto headlight outside)
New set of screws / nuts
New gasket
New neoprene Lens Protector​

I have debated on getting a pair for my wife who is slightly claustophobic. I was wondering how well the mask fit when the person is weaing a hood (DUI Drysuit hood). In my experience - a regular mask can be kind of a pain (but managable) with a hood. It looks like (from pictures) that they HydroOptix has a larger contact area with the face, thus making the mask skirt harder to sit flush against the face.

BTW - when will the vision guide for the 3.5DD Rx prescription guide be available. I know that my wife will not wear contacts. :(

If your wife is claustrophobic and is seriously motivated to dive, and NOT because she wants to please you, get her the clearest silicone mask you can find and take her diving in nice clear warm water. If she can handle this, then she can move on to those nice cold green Cali waters.
If she's doing this for you, it isn't going to take.

Tom Winters:
If she's doing this for you, it isn't going to take.
Truer words were never spoken. Seen it too many times.

Hi Reefugee,

We have two different face skirts, described here. While we’ve heard a few, “Are you serious?!!” comments from 20/20 divers loath to wear contact lenses (and a surprisingly large % who then adopt our paradigm once they actually experience the mask themselves) but we’ve never had negative feedback about interference between the skirt and hood.

RE your wife’s vision Rx – and your question about an Rx conversion chart for our upcoming 3.5DD – please send me her Rx and I will advise what’s best. Or is she 20/20?

Our Internet-based “Underwater Vision Wizard” will be operational in March. You’ll just answer a few questions (e.g. type of diving you do + your vision Rx)… Shazam – a highly customized response appears. Not just hyping each product we make, but also with “con” statements about each mask related to your vision / type of diving.

This “wizard” will NOT require disclosing e-mail or name – I personally get hundreds of Spams daily and pledge never to inflict that on others.

I completely agree with Tom’s sentiments – we’ve programmed the “wizard” to discourage newbie / less active divers from learning to wear contacts just to use our Double-Dome masks (too much task loading). Our ZERO-d will be suggested instead. Unfortunately that’s still a few months away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom