Hydrooptix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon, I've been dying to get one of your masks since I tried it in the tank at the Long Beach scuba show this year, and recently lost my prescription mask leaving me the ideal opportunity to get one.

I have a backup [prescription] mask, however, so I'm not in a rush, and can't get a replacement at this moment anyway for a variety of irrelevant reasons. Can you tell me if the new features coming in Spring 2007 are worth the wait, or should I get one sooner? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not say on the forum. :D

Hi CompuDude,

Best to send us your vision Rx via our website and we can advise the best solution for your vision.

Happy New Year!

I bought the 4.5D at Dema in Vegas, price was too good to pass up. I figured my wife would be able to use it. Turns out her 3.5 prescription works great with the mask, she just loves it, her comment is she sees better than she ever has.

Here's an odd one though, she can't read her guages in the pool with it. Put her in the ocean and she has no problems at all. Go figure.

There is one negative side to this, I have pretty good eye sight so I can't use it without contacts, boy do I hear about it.

I was really disappointed when the ZeroD mask was cancelled. I understand it, but still it was disappointing, the prototype was so cool. I thought I heard somewhere that the technology was going to go into a full face mask. Any truth to that, and if so is it out and from which company if you can say.

RPanick wrote:
I was really disappointed when the ZeroD mask was cancelled.​

Whoa there Bob!

This rumor has NO merit. Our ZERO-d mask is indeed going to be available this year. Not as soon as I'd like, but we made MANY small but important design changes based upon feedback from our prototypes. Creating a distortion-free optical mold with complex geometry is not trivial. Hey, Airbus is 3 years late with their double-decker... Oceanic showed prototypes of their HUD mask 3 years ago... Microsoft never ships when announced... etc.

Excellent product! I bought a 4.5 early in their history. I love the mask. I'm waiting to buy the 3.5 when it comes out - it matches my prescription better.

Customer service has been great. When I bought the mask, I thought my dealings with the company were over. Several months after buying the mask, I got a lens kit in the mail - seems they had problems with a few cracks (by the screws) due to storage and they sent me the lens just in case. I was blown away that they even remembered me. A few months ago, I bought an extra lens and neoprene cover (I got my mask when you could buy them without accessories) and gave the lady on the phone a hard time because she wouldn't sell me a prototype 3.5. She found me in the computer system and didn't even charge me double for the harassment :D.

My fogging problems went away with baby shampoo (no nanofog on my early model).

I do have some leak issues, some from the skirt fit but most come from the top of the skirt not being sealed completely in the frame. I had leak issues from the start but never looked at the skirt until I finally replaced the lens, several months ago (with the one sent to fix possible leaks). I think the skirt has always been this way - it only separates when pushed on so you can't tell any thing is wrong. Of course water pressure pushes on it and I get a trickle of water into the mask (not a flood just a trickle). I tried fixing it with silicone, it helps but still leaks. I'm waiting to get the 3.5 rather than replacing the 4.5 with another 4.5. I'm getting anxious to get my new mask - will you guys hurry up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hi - when can we look forward to getting the ZeroD and 3.5DD? Also can you explain the effect of the 2 differing lenses?
Thanks

Hi gang,

This link to a page on our website best explains the differences between the 2 lenses (3.5DD vs. ZERO-d). Note that the lenses are INTERCHANGEABLE. You could start with a ZERO, notice how much more you're seeing to the sides, decide to go for contact lenses so that your entire field-of-view is true size, distance, shape -- and just swap out the ZERO lens for the 3.5DD (Double-Dome) lens.

SeaYoda -- sorry you have leaking problems. As you also don't have a NanoFOG lens, yours is an earlier mask. Since then we've made changes at the factory. Phone us and we can explain what to do to resecure the frame, which should prevent leaks.

hi john, i have the mega 4.5. since i have been diving with it, i feel it is the greatest thing to have happened to diving for us nearsighted people. when i bought my mega 4.5 ( july 06) the new 3.5 masks weren"t on the market yet. i have a -3.35 prescription. now that the 3.5 is or soon will be available, do you think that it might be a better "fit" for my eyes or stick with the 4.5. i didn't notice the retail price of the 3.5 series masks on your web site. thanks john, I love my 4.5, ken

Hi abman,

The definitive answer to your question is… maybe. There is a BIG advantage if the mask is technically “too strong” for you, as long as it is still comfortable for your eyes to maintain focus. Our diving eye doctors under 40-years old prefer to wear a contact lens Rx that causes the mask to be technically “too strong.” Why? Because it enhances contrast / resolution – everything looks more vivid – hyper acuity you never even experience when above water. But this is not the right answer for everybody.

Bear with me… THREE factors determine the “right” answer for you:
Optical “mechanics”
Your age
Avoiding use of contact lenses​

MECHANICS:
NO other optical systems for human vision – above or below water – except our Double-Dome masks automatically change the diopter power depending upon where you’re looking. Our dome shape makes water an active part of the “system” – the diopter strength actually changes, depending upon how much distance of water you’re looking through – shown here. Unlike eyeglasses / contacts / flat Rx masks with “fixed” diopter powers, ours is a range. When you’re in the “zone” you enjoy better vision than you could possibly have above water (superior close-to-far ability). If you’re not naturally in the “zone” then disposable contact lenses put you into the zone.

As puberty begins, everybody slowly begins to lose their ability to comfortably maintain their MINIMUM focus distance. Only when we get into our 40’s does this become obvious (our arms get “too short”) and we need:
Reading glasses (if distance is still 20/20)
OR
Bifocals (if we’ve worn any Rx correction when younger)​

Eye doctors call our minimum-distance focus ability “ACCOMMODATION”

In the 1960’s Boeing conducted a big study for the military – over 5,000 people were tested for accommodation. At any given age, there is an “average” minimum focus distance once everyone is corrected to 20/20 for distance. Also closer-than-average and further-than-average. We base our conversion chart on further-than-average, to be conservative and avoid causing eye strain. There are always exceptions, and “weird” discoveries. We’ve sold dozens of masks to Estonia for 20/20 divers who don’t need to wear contact lenses. Even divers in their mid 30’s. Their side of the gene pool seems to have the ability to maintain close focus for long periods of time with no eye strain.

AVOIDING EYE STRAIN
When an eye doctor “refracts” you to determine your vision Rx, you are first “auto-refracted” by a machine. But most people prefer something a little different – literally what our brain has gotten used to and prefer. You look at a “Snellen” eye chart through a set of trial diopter lenses, “What’s better, A or B? B or C?” If B lets you read the 20/20 line, and C lets you almost read the 20/15 line, the doctor does NOT give you C. But looking through “C” everything looks more vivid – contrast is better. But the Dr. doesn’t want to make you overly dependent, which would require a stronger Rx within a few years. Also, a “too-strong Rx” improves your distance vision – but reduces your minimum focus distance (accommodation).

If you’re still with me…

SIZE:
The 3.5 mask is higher volume vs. the 4.5. Why? To achieve true size / distance / shape, your eyes must stay at the center of a dome. But to reduce the diopter power, the radius of the dome must increase. If you have to wear a mild + power contact for the 4.5 (say +1.00), then the 3.5 would allow your eyes to “go naked.” But if you’ve got to wear contacts for the 3.5 anyway, then probably the 4.5 is preferred for its smaller size.

EYE STRAIN?
If you are using the 4.5 “naked-eye” but experiencing eye strain, then the 3.5 is the way to go.

Whew… for all those that made it through the end… thank you and congratulation. There’s a pop-quiz next week. :wink: Now go get wet this weekend!!!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom