Hydrooptix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oodt098

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the hydrooptix mask. I wore prescription lenses in my mask and contacts while diving for years, but was finally converted to the hydrooptix mask while working in a retail shop in Hawaii. just wanted to give hydrooptix props and find out how many other people have tried the mask. check it out at www.hydrooptix.com

holla at me

oodt098

I've tried it, and when I can get it to stop leaking I LOVE it ... actually I tried both the standard and the new mask skirt - the older one works better for me, but still leaks a bit... I'm a naked eye match, so my vision underwater ends up being better than with my glasses on land.

wassup kidspot - i had the same leaking problem at first. I found that if you breath in or out through your nose even a little bit, water comes in. gotta keep it tight.

it has to be the ugliest mask i've ever set eyes on. and the above water optics? who would ever wear them? dilbert?

Hi Doug,

The premise of my company is about making diving safer and more fun by radically expanding underwater field-of-view. Do you really think we look “cool” wearing fins?! Looks more like we’re wearing clown-shoes... but that’s what it takes to move through the water.

Even with your 2,500+ dives, you’ve never seen objects – nor water viz conditions – as they truly are – when looking through a flat mask.

That said, I am a perfectionist and am NOT in love with products we make. Our approach to design is to determine the BEST solution to true problems (e.g. refraction-induced tunnel-vision) -- and fashion considerations are second. With the help of positive AND negative feedback from ScubaBoard members, we are continually improving our current mask, and have made countless adjustments to our next two designs (available Spring 2007).

I had a diver on the boat just a couple of weeks ago with this mask. He liked the mask even if it did look kinda funny, His wife bought it for him. The only part he didn't like was the cost of the mask. Even if the wife bought it. He thought it was alot of money for a mask.

Jon - Do both of the Hydro-optix masks now come with the "nano fog" technology? I got one of the new larger skirt masks first (S7?) which had it, then switched to the smaller skirt (S1?) and it did not ... I really missed it as it fogged up terribly :( or is this only available on the S7 skirt?

Jon, I got to try the "normal vision" prototype at the last scubashow in L.A. and was amazed at the clarity and field of view. I was nearsighted (20-400+) and had lasik 8 years ago to correct to 20-15. Now of course I need reading glasses (I'm over 50) which hurts my ability to shoot underwater photos. I swear my near vision was corrected with this mask. When its available, I will definately want one.

Hi gang,

Here's some comments on the last 3 postings (above).

Capt. Jim (COST)
Agreed, I don't like the high cost - and future designs will allow lower cost (fewer parts / less labor to assemble). The Scuba industry is small, and unit-volume determines price I pay for parts... our costs from the various vendors would drop 50% only if our volume was 10X higher or more than it is now -- and I would be happy to pass the savings along, because I'm in this to help make diving safer. The idea of profit-gouging on something like seat belts / airbags is disgusting.
Also, the radius of the domes of the 4.5DD creates a stronger Rx power, which requires the CoverLens... which then requires the retractor (normal $25 retail for just a high-quality retractor). If we sold the mask alone with no accessories, the cost would be lower but divers would suffer bad overall "usability."

KidSpot (FOGGING with S-1 skirt)
Now BOTH S-1 and S-3 skirts come with NanoFOG coated lens. Originally, we started shipping only the S-1 skirts with lenses that were hardcoated on both inside and outside. But also during the last 3 years we were formulating our NanoFOG coating. About 1 year ago we switched to all lenses made with NanoFOG coating on the inside (HC / AF), regardless of which skirt. So your mask with the S-1 skirt was from earlier inventory. While the skirts are not interchangeable on the current 4.5DD (permanent snap-fits), current lenses are easily changed. Future mask designs will have easy to replace skirts and lenses... but we'll have to scrap current molds (BIG Ouch!!), so a new 4.5 is a ways off. You can either upgrade to a new NanoFOG lens or I can e-mail you direct pre-dive procedures for the original HC / HC lens which truly do work, but requires lots of elbow-grease.

Mike / Merxlin (BIFOCAL)
The flat-portion of the hybrid lens of the Zero-D behaves the same as any flat mask -- so will not solve your presbyopia problem (need for reading glasses / bifocals). But we will have an optional bifocal section for that. At the dive show when you hung your head over the side of our test tank, I suspect the light-level caused your pupils to constrict slightly. Light level -- for us aging divers -- dramatically improves our ability to focus close (the lesson is to have a good reading light at your desk / bedside). All that said, the "magic-bifocal" phenomenon of Double-Dome lenses (OK, I confess it is marketing-speak for simple physics, nothing I invented)... truly is cool instead of a small / fragmented bifocal area. But since your Lasik is full correction, you would indeed have to wear disposable contacts. Which I know sounds crazy. OK, there's nothing magic about sticking contacts in your eye... but the net benefit truly works like magic when you need to shift your vision fast from close to far to make sure you get the shot before it gets away.

I saw one of these masks in my LDS today and came here to read up on it. Looks like it might be just what I need.

What will the 3.5 DD be like? I assume it will correct for less nearsighted people?

Back
Top Bottom