Hydro after tumbling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with Vance, ask to see the regulation in black and white!

I'll go get the tanks, man I'm so tired of dealing with BS at the hydro-place. Long story short, the place is a long drive away, and the guy I needed to talk to was not there, so I left them with someone else who said they need to re-hydro.

Why can't these guys just learn their freaking business?

Why can't these guys just learn their freaking business?

Their business is to make money. If the don't, they won't be there. Our job is to be educated so when know when to say 'shenanigans'!

Their business is to make money.

You're implying that they know that re-hydroing after tumbling is not required, but are deliberately lying to falsely get more money out of me. I seriously doubt this; I think they simply don't know the regulations. I'll pick up my tanks and try to find another facility that will tumble them.

You're implying that they know that re-hydroing after tumbling is not required, but are deliberately lying to falsely get more money out of me. I seriously doubt this; I think they simply don't know the regulations. I'll pick up my tanks and try to find another facility that will tumble them.

Just ask them about it and give them a chance.

I own a LOT of tanks, 2 times a LOT if you count Marci's tanks. The best money I ever spent was getting a tank tumbler and VIP certification. Having that capability is nice as it lets you tumble your own tanks when needed, and in particular before hydro (and after) if there is any significant rust or even flash rust. There is after all little sense in sending the tank in for hydro when it needs rust removed to pass the VIP portion of the requalification.

At a minimum VIP certification will let you pre-inspect your tanks and know how they should fare even before you have VIP done by a shop in the event the shop will not honor your cert.

I used to work for a dive shop owned, operated and co-located with a hydro test facility, and that also really helped understanding how it is supposed to work. However, learning about the process through which people get certified by the DOT to test tanks, also taught me that the DOT process ensures inspectors achieve a minimum standard but does nothing to prevent them from over interpreting various regs, hearing something and thinking it is a reg, or making up their own and in effect holding tanks and customers to much higher standards than the law requires. So it is entirely possible that the tester in question may actually believe that tumbling, properly or perhaps improperly done, may remove enough metal to require a new hydro.

In that regard it would not be unlike a person VIPping an AL tank that was professionally painted requiring the tank to be re-hydro tested to ensure it had not been heated to the point the T6 heat treatment of the aluminum alloy was compromised.

So my suggestion is to have a conversation with them and see if you get an honest or well informed response or an attitude that indicates they are just looking to make some extra money off your tank.

Another way to approach it maybe that if tumbling always requires a hydro test then why is the hydro test not included in the cost of the tumbling? And in fact I'd argue that if a hydro test is not included with the tumbling, then the shop is clearly just trying to gouge you for more money.

Actually I already found another place that will tumble without a new hydro. I'd rather not argue with the guy, just take my business elsewhere. It might not be a bad idea to use this opportunity to make a tumbler.

Thanks for the replies!

Actually I already found another place that will tumble without a new hydro.
I am a little surprised that a hydro facility would even say that a hydro was required after tumbling, either because they didn't know the reglations as several have suggested, or because they are trying to take advantage of you, as others have implied. In either case, it would seem bad for business to have a bad reputation, for ignorance or for gouging, which would catch up with them quickly.
DA Aquamaster:
The best money I ever spent was getting a tank tumbler and VIP certification. Having that capability is nice as it lets you tumble your own tanks when needed, and in particular before hydro (and after) if there is any significant rust or even flash rust.
YES!!! And, while one can make a DIY tumbler, the cost of a commercial one, while not trivial, is worth the investment IF you have a lot of tanks.

For that matter, if one is just going to pre-inspect tanks, and clean out some rust, one doesn't even need the course - just get Bill High's book (or ours when it comes out) or, for alu tanks, the free tank inspection protocol on Luxfer's website and the tank cleaning info at GMC/Globals website.

Similarly, while a tumbler is nice to have, a simple whip made out of SS cable and a rod will do a decent job on flash and light rusting (which is what most tanks probably end up getting tumbled for) or crud.

Like you say, there is little sense in taking a tank in to a visual or hydro with rust in it. Indeed, it is really asking for trouble!

The best money I ever spent was getting a tank tumbler and VIP certification. Having that capability is nice as it lets you tumble your own tanks when needed, and in particular before hydro (and after) if there is any significant rust or even flash rust. There is after all little sense in sending the tank in for hydro when it needs rust removed to pass the VIP portion of the requalification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom