Hurricane Ivan is next...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lordy....and I am suppose to go to Marathon Key in 3 weeks. Maybe not now if the hotel gets blown away. This a bad year for FL as far as hurricanes go.

Paul

Full blown category five storm now. I fear we're looking at a major killer when it hits Jamaica. Nothing in the atmosphere to weaken it.
Pray for a miracle.
Rick

Just checked the NOAA site......make it stop!!

Does this model discussion:
THE MODEL SPREAD STILL BRACKETS THE FLORIDA
PENINSULA. THE MAIN DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MODELS AGAIN REMAINS IN HOW THEY HANDLE THE DEVELOPMENT AND FUTURE TRACK OF A MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL LOW CURRENTLY NEAR 34N 48W. WATER VAPOR WINDS SUGGEST THAT THE UPPER-LOW IS STRONGER THAN ALL OF THE MODELS HAVE BEEN FORECASTING. HOWEVER...THE MODEL THAT INITIALIZED THE LOW THE BEST AT 00Z WAS NOGAPS. THIS MODEL HAS BEEN VERY CONSISTENT...ALONG WITH THE ECMWF MODEL...ON BRINGING IVAN ACROSS WEST-CENTRAL CUBA AND THEN OVER OR NEAR THE FLORIDA PENINSULA. THE UKMET MODEL REMAINS THE WESTERNMOST OUTLIER...WHILE THE GFS IS STILL THE EASTERNMOST OUTLIER. HOWEVER...BOTH MODELS HAVE BEEN GRADUALLY SHIFTING THEIR TRACKS TOWARD FLORIDA...AND THE LATEST GFDL RUN NOW TAKES IVAN ACROSS SOUTHEAST FLORIDA IN 96-120 HOURS.
worry anyone else??? Although one is on the west coast and the other off the east, they seem to be slowly coming to the centre. I still say (as i stated monday) it will shoot straight up the middle, just like the projected path is now showing, left hook, right cross and then the uppercut to finish us off for the season!

SmokeAire:
Bonaire and the other ABC islands are under a hurricane warning from Ivan. And those islands are not in the hurricane zone. No one is safe from Mother Nature.

Swell ... guess where I'm heading tonight ... :11:

Hopefully it'll be gone before we get there. Wonder how we're gonna manage the Miami to Curacao part of the flight though ... looks like there's a hurricane in the way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hopefully it'll be gone before we get there. Wonder how we're gonna manage the Miami to Curacao part of the flight though ... looks like there's a hurricane in the way ...

Fly over the top of it, drop down inside the eye, land and quickly put the plane in the hanger before the backside of the eye comes along, sounds simple to me :wink:

the five-day chart shows Ivan
heading for the Keys Monday morning and then moving right
up the middle of the state Tuesday morning. this is a
"compromise track" as the models show it either going
to the Gulf or up the East Coast of Florida.

(can you say "this sucks" or what?)

Ivan now has 160 mph winds. the good news is that
hurricanes can seldom keep this intensity for long, so
it will fluctuate between a 4 and 5 and then once it hits
Cuba, it won't be able to strengthen much, if at all.

National Hurricane Center

Maybe this is all some secret way of sneaking Jamican rum and Cuban cigars into the country???

BTW, i like the use of the term "compromise track" after the discussion on models earlier in the week :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom