Human Mules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser:
I've never been to Valhalla but would like to go when I have a few more dives under my weight belt. So, how close can you park to it?

Right on top of it.:D

I would be more than willing to help out, just cover my expenses. You can fly me in from Ohio on a Friday evening with a return flight on Sunday evening (Dayton OH airport please--airport code DAY). Cover my transportation, lodging and food. I'm pretty easy to get along with, rats are fine but no roaches where I'm sleeping please. Oh and snow crab legs are what I expect when exchanging food for work. I don't care if you take me to Red Lobster or make them yourself but there is a 2-pound minimum. A truly grateful employer would guarantee all I could eat :eyebrow:

So, whaddaya think?
Ber :lilbunny:

ReefHound:
Right on top of it.:D

...sweet...

Frank,
The phrase “staging” is your friend.
From prior experience moving the gear is the hardest part.
I carried in my gear and when we were done I carried out my gear and Heathers gear- yikes that was a choir.

If I did it again I would be tempted to- stage all my gear at the lower level. So tanks, weight, lights would be marched down. I found the surface although cooler was much easier than staying at the lower room. So I would be tempted to change at the surface and stroll down. Then turn on my tank and rock and roll.

Hint and tips-
You can wear down your tank on your BC. Top stairs are nice and big- lower stairs are a lot tighter.

Debra sells DUI- so I would highly recommend the weight and trim system- easy way to move your weight around.

Saying hello to the water is recommended (splashing your face with water.)

Make sure everything is attached- if you drop something the next stop is the bottom.

This is an instrumentation dive. Once you are below say 30ft you have concrete around you and a light glow above and not much below. Please feel comfortable for the drop from 30 to 110ft in 56 degree water.

Tank markers (light sticks) can be a nice touch.

The floor is not a smooth surface but a debris pile- so please stop before impaling yourself. Almost did that. :11:

When changing depths- check your gauges, watch your speed. Walls are smooth, with little or no markings.

HID have limited use- they tend to reflect off the concrete walls. I went to my SL4 and was much happier.

The cold, depth and me being in a rental wetsuit (not my own) resulted in a little narcosis. I really noticed that I had to concentrate. I was in between suits at the time.

Good luck and bring good walking shoes.

Andrew

Excellent Points Andrew.
Does that all mean you'll be there to help an old man out :D

( I hear him laughing now and saying ... "That silly SomeBeach !" :rofl3: )

Diving Valhalla is one of those jobs that most Americans just won't do.

Last year I did 3 dives at the silo and a round trip to Paris, Tx. in one day.
I Guess I'll be hauling my own gear again this year :shakehead

You can't blame a guy for trying to find the Easy Button.

I wonder if a person could camp out on the site?
I bet the stars are great there at night :crafty:

If you were in Austin I might just be stupid enough to do this if you paid all of my expenses. I guess I would still be interested if you could fly me out there :)

~Jess

Geez...Frank got in trouble with PETA for askin' about the donkey thing...now he's got the ACLU after him for the human mule thing.

I don't think he's got too much to worry about though. I checked on the Reward for him and it ain't enough to even pay for the gas to go pick him up. :D

Here is the info. on him. You have to click on the "download document" thing as far as the last time I looked at the site. :rofl3:

Have you also considered something like this? Low initial cost, high work output, never tires or talks back, AND willing to travel :)

-----

Mike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom