Trip Report Trip Report: Cozumel-- November 17-25, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Villa Blanca Wall is one of the most overlooked dive sites on the island, which is fine with me, and I will say that it was the only dive site that had absolutely no evidence of disease and was as lush as always.

This is very interesting. So if the white plight is allegedly linked to sunscreen/runoff/cruise ships/divers/global warming/cooling/change or whatever the flavor of the day is, why wouldn't the Villa Blanca Wall be impacted? We dove a lot of northern sites (non-Palancar) during my August 2019 trip and the white plight was almost non-existent.

This is very interesting. So if the white plight is allegedly linked to sunscreen/runoff/cruise ships/divers/global warming/cooling/change or whatever the flavor of the day is, why wouldn't the Villa Blanca Wall be impacted? We dove a lot of northern sites (non-Palancar) during my August 2019 trip and the white plight was almost non-existent.
I have dived Villablanca Wall several times; I remember seeing a lot of sea fans and soft corals, but not much in the way of the stony corals that are being devastated by this syndrome.

The disease is impacting stony corals exclusively, of which there really aren't much of or any at the Villa Blanca dive site.

Great report; good to read details about a topside stay option, as there are a number of 'favorites' on the forum and I imagine people new to it may find comparing and picking one daunting.

Nice toadfish shot! I have never yet seen a batfish diving; jealous of that one.

Richard.

Good report TB. I’m there in January as typical two months after you, just like Bonaire! I stay at CM and dive with Tres Pelicanos. I’ll try that B&B on my April Fools trip!

Great report; good to read details about a topside stay option, as there are a number of 'favorites' on the forum and I imagine people new to it may find comparing and picking one daunting.

Nice toadfish shot! I have never yet seen a batfish diving; jealous of that one.

Richard.
Thanks Richard and it also dawned on me that I failed to mention that Villa Escondida does include daily maid/room service (except Sunday). It was always nice to come back to a clean room and made bed after a day of diving.

OK, I have to ask. Where did you see the batfish? I've only seen one once in Cozumel. I have an excellent photo of it on a slide, as it was before the advent of the digital camera and I haven't seen one since. We saw ours on Las Palmas.

OK, I have to ask. Where did you see the batfish? I've only seen one once in Cozumel. I have an excellent photo of it on a slide, as it was before the advent of the digital camera and I haven't seen one since. We saw ours on Las Palmas.
It was at the far end (North) on Santa Rosa wall. After the wall sort of comes to an end and you start shallowing out.

@Trailboss123, first off thanks for the good review.

Quick question, did you see anyone using hard soled dive boots (with my giant feet the best fitting fins I've found are open heel with hard soled boots)? If so, will her crew handle those, or is the no wet suit rule a 'no neoprene rule'??

@Trailboss123, first off thanks for the good review.

Quick question, did you see anyone using hard soled dive boots (with my giant feet the best fitting fins I've found are open heel with hard soled boots)? If so, will her crew handle those, or is the no wet suit rule a 'no neoprene rule'??
We will keep your boots :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom