HP Tanks HOW MUCH AIR DO YOU GET??

How much air do you get in your HP steel tank?

• 3000 or less

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • 3400 or more

Votes: 43 87.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i get from 3400 to 3700

that's on LP steel though

It depends. If I take my HP tanks to the LDS where I purchased them from, then I get awesome fills (at least 3400 psi). If I take them anywhere else, I usually get something closer to 3100-32000 psi.

My fills vary depending on how long I feel like waiting on it. Normally I get about 3200 psi on my 3500 psi tank, but then I don't like to hang around and so my tanks don't have time to cool and then be topped. Now if I leave them and pick them up later I'll get a full fill.

Does it matter to me? No, they're HP 120's and have enough air that a short fill doesn't cut into my dive time anyways.

If I really (REALLY) screw up I can fill to 4500. Untill my new LDS (and part time fun employer) opened I had to drive 45 miles to get a good fill of nitrox. I tried a different shop (only about 20 miles) it took about an hour and a half and barely over 3000.

It depends. Some places like Hoodsport dive shop (which is populated with real enthusiast divers) always give you decent full pressure fills.

Other local Portland shops are a mixed bag. Most give you about 3200-3300 cold. A few (including the one I bought the tank from), seem to struggle to get 3000 psi.

Perhaps I should try Kraken's label suggestion...

It's rare that I don't get good fills - 3500 after cooled. Now getting the gas mix spot on can be a problem...

Most fills are in the range your survey didn't capture. 3250 is very common and by then I 'm often below 70F the reality is closer to a spot on fill.

I have never gotten a fill below 3000. I have had the pleasure of 3800 on numerous occasions.

The shop I now frequent will do a legitimate top off if I leave the cylinders over night and be within gauge error of perfect. If I'm in a rush they'll let it rest (I don't think the gas appreciably cools) a moment then give me a modest warm overfill that cools to 3200-3300.

All in all for the weight to gas ratio it's still they are still the best thing going even with the slight underfills.

BTW, AL-80 buddies generally show up with 2700-2800 PSI so I don't quite understand what all this short HP fill carping is all about.

Pete

spectrum:
BTW, AL-80 buddies generally show up with 2700-2800 PSI so I don't quite understand what all this short HP fill carping is all about.

Not where I spend my money. I leave my tanks overnight and they are 3500 psi or more (depending on who did the fill). If I need an 80 I'm grabbing one from stock and having it topped before I leave.

If you are in a rush and have to have the air now, sure its gonna be a little warm and will cool once you get outside, get underwater, etc. If you're routinely getting short fills from the same shop you can only blame yourself.

If I had an AL80 filled to 2700 psi... you're darn right I would gripe. These people are supposed to fill tanks as part of their job. They should know how to fill them FULL.

At the place I go... They fill my HP tank to 4100 psi HOT, then it cools to 3500-3600 psi which is totally fine. (that's the pull up... bring the tank in... fill and run) They fill my wife's AL80's to 31-3200 psi after cooling. If the compressor at the shop can't fill the tanks full enough or the filler doesn't know how to fill them all the way... either educate them, or find another shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom