• Read Up On It

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I Forget...

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 50 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wonderful wife noticed a discovery scuba class at our resort in Cozumel and insisted that I sign up and dive. I resisted weakly but she insisted that I go. What a hoot, I used to keep salt water tropicals, now I can be in the aquarium. Tomorrow and the next day I have my open water dives, then I'm cert'ed. BTW my wife doesn't dive or ever care to, a very caring woman.

Fellow showed up at the "Y" with a tank and regulator circa '62. Obviously it was something I had to do... :D
Rick

Used to freedive alot during summer holidays in my mid teens, forgot about the thing and then a friend of mine started scuba diving, and he was very enthusiastic about it. a year or so with some pressure from him and a nice job on my end with some good income, I bought gear and got the license, only regret I have is that I forgot how nice it was and didn't get into scubaing earlier.

Hubby certified in 1969 after listening to what his class was like (taught by a retired UDT diver - not an instructor) it took until 1999 to decided that I could do it. In that time they developed the BC and air pressure gage :)

Also watching Jacques Cousteau's series on T.V. when I was a kid. Then my dad took me out snorkeling to a reef off Pompano Beach and would take me out on the Sunfish sailboat sailing over the reefs. That motivated me to go and get certified as soon as I turned 14.

Read books, parents opposed the idea. Local sporting goods store loaned me a tank for show and tell. Of course having a swimming pool in the backyard, as a 13 year old I had to try it. In high school a buddy and I used to dive springs in Fla. After years of wanting to dive again I finally got certified.

shotthebreeze:
That would be dangerous for me, lol. They'd have to beat me off to get me to leave...:letsparty:

I have a feeling it will reach that point. :) Although it does help that the guys at the shop have started to offer to take me diving and I just bought a full scuba gear setup from them.

Absolutely loved aquariums as a kid and still do. Loved the ocean, snorkeled and surfed all my life, went to a discover scuba thing on leave after Iraq and got hooked, picked up an issue of sport diver and have been glued to the world of diving ever since.

I always watched Cousteau when I was a kid and was fascinated.

I started to coming to Hawaii for summers when I was a kid at age 9 in '73. I think I always new it was home.

My role models were a bunch of freediving hunters (Hawaiian beachboy types) who were reluctant to take a 10 year old girl fishing in the waters off Rabbit Island. I wonder if they would have if I had been a male????

I also saw Jaws during one of those formative summers and it added an element of fear to the snorkeling that I did alone. Add leaky masks made for adults and it didn't make snorkeling a great experience. I have a really small face and still am difficult to fit for a mask.

Came to University of Hawaii and wanted to be a marine biologist or a vet until I found that most PhD's in marine biology didn't work in the field and it was easier to go to medical than to get into vet school. Should have studied Spanish and gone to vet school in South America as some I know did.

After college, I got really into sailing for a while until friend with the sailboat decided to sell it. New owner took possession and was on a payment plan. Then I decided to finally pursue diving lessons at U of H to appease my love of the ocean and was hooked.

Sale of said sailboat fell thru and I am now the proud owner (see avtar). In addition, I am back to diving after a 7 year hiatus!:D Sorry for the novel!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom