• Read Up On It

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I Forget...

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 50 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went snorkeling while on a trip to Hawaii. Couldn't stay deep enough long enough to see what I wanted to see.

You forgot "Sea Hunt" with Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges).

the K

It was just one of those things I had always wanted to do, and one day the chance came to learn so I jumped on it. It is way more fun than I ever thought it would be.

I voted that I forgot.

I was stationed at Ft. Ord (Monterey CA) back in the 80's. I had classes scheduled and everything.. My squad leader decided that I had better things to do, like wait for his *** to show up for an "important squad meeting" that he never showed up for. Time and events from there prevented things from taking place....

fast forward to 20 years later and I'm now working on my AOW :)
I wish I would have found a way to get here sooner. (If I'd only known)

I was always a swimmer and of course I watched Jacques Cousteau and sea Hunt as a kid so I always wanted to dive. Living in the midwest, though, I never really thought it was worth persuing. It's funny how so few give any thought to frsh water even though the Great Lakes have some of the best wrecks in the world.

Then, my uncle baught a marina in Arkansas that had a dive shop on it. He never oporated the dive shop but my cousins learned to dive primarily so they could take care of the UW dock work. Now my cousins had all this dive gear so I started diving. For several years, I just dived when I was down visiting them. I still didn't bother getting certified because I really didn't think the local diving oportunities would be very worthwhile. I also had young children so both time and money was tight.

Several years and several promotions later, I had money and the chance to get a baby sitter for a few days (I was a single parent) so on a wild hair, I opened the phone book and started calling dive shops. There were only two within an hour of my home so I picked the one that answered the phone first. They had a class going to open water that weekend so I set up private classroom and pool that following week, took some vacation days and was ready for the OW dives that following weekend.

Had to keep coming to the surface when I tryed snorkeling

TheGoast:
Had to keep coming to the surface when I tryed snorkeling

My story too. I was snorkeling in St. John and saw some divers photographing Parrotfish and I HAD to try it. :D

When I was a kid Jacques Cousteau's TV specials came on fairly often. Watching that it was just something I knew I had to do, so I got started as soon as I could. Age 12, I think.

My wife and I had a cruse set up to the Carabiean. One day before the cruse we were at a sports show and saw a booth for scuba diving. We thought how cool would that be to do on our cruse. The rest is history. She doesn't dive as much as I do but we are still at it 4 years later. I'm going for my Master Diver certification this summer. She is still just a weekend warm water diver.

Back
Top Bottom