How valuable is your pet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissyP:
And Kent, no... you don't have to be "rich" to have a pet. If you have financial stability and/or have pet health care insurance, then so be it. :) However, if you're struggling to make ends meet, do you really think you need the added burden of having a pet?

I guess I'm looking at the millions of people in this country, who have pets, that would not be able to spend thousands to have their pets live a while longer. Would these pets have been better off being put to sleep when they were born because there was no one that could spend that kind of money on them just in case something happened? There are millions of of happy pets out there, that will either be put to sleep, or put down by their owners if anything like what has been described here happened to them. Saying that you have to be financially stable or have pet health insurance is classism, shows prejudice, and a lack of compassion for those less well off than yourself. I can't even fathom telling my kids that certain people should not have pets because they wouldn't be able to afford a $2,000 vet bill! How are their pets less happy than yours? Do you only know well off people, and look down on those who could not afford the kinds of vet bills we are seeing here? What happens if, God forbid, you had a turn in your financial situation? Would you get rid of all your pets?

Okay, no laughing allowed!!! My husband is still not happy with me over this whole thing.

My..... I mean, um... my daughters guinea pig was probably way to young to be leaving his mother when we bought him for a whopping $6 at the flea market 2 yrs ago. I noticed when we got home he had this little limp thing going on and it concerned me. I have a wonderful vet here that sees my hamster (yes, my hamster) so I brought my new beloved pig down to see her. Not to my surprise, my new little critter had a badly broken leg. Well, I certainly couldn't leave him that way. $400 later I'm happy to report OzzieRoo is marvelous and him and his wife Oreo are expecting babies soon.

When you buy a pet, you must think ahead. Can you afford the bill in the time of crisis? If the answer is no, then one must really rethink the decision of taking on that responsibility.

I love that poem.. I had to put my baby Bubba (the hamster) to sleep after a very long battle for his life. My vet was extremely understanding with me as I was totally heart broken. I loved that little guy so much and was lucky he lived well over the five years that he did (average life 2yrs). I tried everything available on the market to save his life (spending several hundreds of dollars). He was old, and one night I heard him making these terrible noises (even with the pain meds on board), I didn't want to loose him, but I knew that was me being selfish. The next morning my vet met me at the office early and put him to rest. It was a very emotional time for me. The entire staff sent me a card with that poem in it, seemed to make things just a little better.

You can't put a price on love!

How could you put a price on this face?!

waterdaughter:
Talked to breeders? Whoa, that's expensive.

Simply put then, you have reached your limit for her. Would that be accurate?

Well, I do belong to a rescue group and guess what? Many of the rescues---too many---are seniors with health issues that have become a financial burden to their "family" and the animal is replaced with a younger, healthier pet. Ya don't have to be psychic to see where that is going, do you?

Is it gratifying to adopt from a rescue group? You bet. I highly recommend it. I will drive for several hours to perform a home visit at a potential adopter's, just to insure that the dog will be cared for...in fact, most groups are quite diligent about only placing rescued animals in an environment that will commit to time, training and any costs necessary for medical treatment. (We also encourage insurance. No it is not just for the rich---I have 3 dogs insured and it costs me $40/month. 2 are considered seniors.)

So, while you may consider yourself a responsible pet owner, and have a litany of treatments you have funded and a reckoning of time you have devoted in the past...ask yourself this: Will your new pet age or develop an illness or sustain an injury at some point and cost you more than the food, even if it is a wholistic diet? The answer is yes.

You have a dog in your garage who is suffering and by your own comments, not receiving the treatment prescribed...and you would like a Keeshond.

I may not know even a tiny bit of the whole story, but I don't know if that would be much of a "rescue".

Yep. Buying from a breeder IS expensive. I was looking at older dogs that didn't make it in the show ring. A rescue of sorts. Much less expensive (not that it's any of YOUR business).

My dog in the garage is not recieving the one drug the vet recommended. SHe is NOT being denied meds and treatment, I am just using buffered asprin instead, in addition to some other meds that are RX. She is not mistreated, and she is loved. She just can't be in the house. She sleeps on a baby mattress and comforter for goodness sake!

I am sorry that you live in an ideal world where you don't have to make decisions due to temporary economic setbacks (divorce). Sometimes in the real world we make decisions that are tough. Unfortunatley, she IS older, and because of that, I am less likely to spend thousands as I would have (and did) when she was younger. I also am no londer a double income, no kids family. For that I have no regrets, but it is a circumstance that influences the decisions I make.

Your comments regarding the future of a pet are insulting. You imply I haven't thought the aging process through. I assure you I have. That said, much of the reason a Kees is not in the home is that at this moment, it is not financially or time-wise feasable. In time when it's right it will happen.

Oh yeah smarty pants, it's holistic, not wholistic. Please don't talk to me about it if you don't know what it is.

get off your high horse honey. I sure hope life doesn't throw you any curveballs. Not sure if you have what it takes in your idealistic mind to handle it!

When we immigrated from Germany to Canada couple of years ago, we brought 2 cats and an old Bloodhound that we didn't believe that he will survive the trip as he had a severe heart condition. He travelled in a custom made crate that 4 people had to lift and his flight ticket was double than my wifes and mine combined. He survived another 9 month and it was worth every cent we spent.
Out of my 5 pets, 4 are adopted.

MissyP:
Actually, you're hitting the nail on the head whether you're meaning to be sarcastic or not. If you cannot give your pet a quality life and the medical care it needs, then perhaps it IS for the best to give the pet to a home that has more financial stability.
And Kent, no... you don't have to be "rich" to have a pet. If you have financial stability and/or have pet health care insurance, then so be it. :) However, if you're struggling to make ends meet, do you really think you need the added burden of having a pet?

You people are unbelievable.

Have you checked to see how many people are lining up to give a 13 year old dog with$100+ a month in RX drugs a home? Do you really think SHE would rather go with someone else? Or stay with the people who have loved and cared for her since she was 5 weeks old?

Grow up! This isn't the ideal/perfect world!

kent_1848:
I guess I'm looking at the millions of people in this country, who have pets, that would not be able to spend thousands to have their pets live a while longer. Would these pets have been better off being put to sleep when they were born because there was no one that could spend that kind of money on them just in case something happened? There are millions of of happy pets out there, that will either be put to sleep, or put down by their owners if anything like what has been described here happened to them. Saying that you have to be financially stable or have pet health insurance is classism, shows prejudice, and a lack of compassion for those less well off than yourself. I can't even fathom telling my kids that certain people should not have pets because they wouldn't be able to afford a $2,000 vet bill! How are their pets less happy than yours? Do you only know well off people, and look down on those who could not afford the kinds of vet bills we are seeing here? What happens if, God forbid, you had a turn in your financial situation? Would you get rid of all your pets?

A voice of reason!

Jason B:
How could you put a price on this face?!
I can't put a price on that face, but I think next time she somes out with us we will have to remember to put some sunscreen on that face. :) Poor Cassie with the sunburnt face. She is an awfully sweet puppy though. I can't wait to see her catch another crab. :D

Nice Pictures Oren!!

I have 3 cats, 2 dogs and 9 sugar gliders. I too would spend whatever I have to keep them healthy. My mother won't spend a dime(it's not totally the money, if she has to lift a finger to do anything, it's too much!). So I remind her that when she's sick in the hospital, with a paper cut, I'll have her put down cause it's too expensive!

Back
Top Bottom