How to verify if someone is PADI instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright...I will prove it. I paid for my class and they sold me a poodle jacket and split fins :depressed: Then taught us to dive overweighted and we did all of our drills kneeling on the bottom. Not sure what else you would need for proof that I am PADI certified :idk:

maybe this is why?? I know it wasn't you but this tone runs so rampant. And unfortunately, out of frustration, I got a little over the top

I agree with Peter_C (post #35) - have fun with him.

Here are a few (untrue) comments or questions to have fun with:

1. Tell him that you are amazed that increasing the O2 content from 21% (atmospheric) to 36% (EAN 36) will push your MOD from 140 feet (recreational limit) to 220 feet;
2. Share your amazement that people spit in their wetsuits and pee in their facemasks. I mean, you might want to warm up your facemask, but do you really need to lube the wetsuit?

Others?

I agree with Peter_C (post #35) - have fun with him.

Here are a few (untrue) comments or questions to have fun with:

1. Tell him that you are amazed that increasing the O2 content from 21% (atmospheric) to 36% (EAN 36) will push your MOD from 140 feet (recreational limit) to 220 feet

That's too much of a reach. Any Nitrox certified diver will see right through that one.

Ask him the difference between DCS and DCI.

Not at all, just really sick of the PADI bashing.

It does get old, doesn't it? It is almost painfully predictable.

For some people, it is just a reflex. Others are looking for favor from a handful of PADI bashers who dominate discussions like this. It is also a good way to get your "Thanks" count up, since those handful seem to be scouring the threads constantly in search of anti-PADI posts to thank. (And in this case it's working!)

Kind of off topic but why would you hide your status. All you have to do is say no if asked to babysit someone or say "sure sign this release and pay me $25-$50 per dive plus my boat ride is free". I have found that having instructor status known keeps the DM's or guides off my back when I decide to dive alone or deviate from their plan with my buddy who I choose. And I seem to remember when I first got certed being able to look for an instructor on their site as opposed to just dive centers.

I get a lot of freebies and discounts...normally without asking...and I am cheap...

But then I also will help if asked... as trying to make a living in this "Hobby" is tough.

And if I am asked to baby sit... I take a special joy in telling a new diver exactly what I think (both good and bad), as it is not my business I have to worry about.

It does get old, doesn't it? It is almost painfully predictable.

For some people, it is just a reflex. Others are looking for favor from a handful of PADI bashers who dominate discussions like this. It is also a good way to get your "Thanks" count up, since those handful seem to be scouring the threads constantly in search of anti-PADI posts to thank. (And in this case it's working!)

Really? Did not know there was a reward system for that. I am so out of it.

I thought in this case, the question was pretty reasonable, as were some of the responses. I don't know a single instructor that does not know their number, nor do I know one that would not tell you, if asked, when and how they got certified.

Sure there were a few jokes...a little poke the gorrila... but if you get all the PADI instructors in a room with all the other instructors, you guys would win a fight by shear numbers...and it is a lot more fun to pick on the big guy than kicking the little guy.

Sure there were a few jokes...a little poke the gorrila... but if you get all the PADI instructors in a room with all the other instructors, you guys would win a fight by shear numbers...and it is a lot more fun to pick on the big guy than kicking the little guy.

I guess you missed the one that was removed by a mod.

I guess you missed the one that was removed by a mod.

Oh that, saw it.. That would have bothered me, if I was PADI...but this is the internet, and tend to not take things that seriously. The only person that really knows how hard your path was is you...

maybe this is why?? I know it wasn't you but this tone runs so rampant. And unfortunately, out of frustration, I got a little over the top

Well my training through PADI was a complete joke, as were both of my posts. In my first post I put "FWIW I am PADI OW certified" so it wouldn't sound like a bash, just a jib. I did tell the truth in my second post. We were never taught buoyancy. Every class I have taken since then through other agencies, the "instructor" has been much more thorough. My g/f at the time was sent through the PADI quick program so I could continue her training. Hers was even worse than my initial training. I am not out to bash PADI, just to make fun of them (There is a difference). I have a friend that just became a PADI instructor. Much of the classes success is up to the instructor, but that is also where the agency behind them needs to set stricter guidelines for their instructors.

If anyone believes I put up posts trying to get thanks, then you need to notice I hide all of that stuff.

Peace to all PADI people :cool2: And now back to our regularly scheduled program of trying to figure out if a dangerous diver is really the PADI instructor he claims to be. :popcorn:

Well my training through PADI was a complete joke, as were both of my posts. In my first post I put "FWIW I am PADI OW certified" so it wouldn't sound like a bash, just a jib. I did tell the truth in my second post. We were never taught buoyancy. Every class I have taken since then through other agencies, the "instructor" has been much more thorough. My g/f at the time was sent through the PADI quick program so I could continue her training. Hers was even worse than my initial training. I am not out to bash PADI, just to make fun of them (There is a difference). I have a friend that just became a PADI instructor. Much of the classes success is up to the instructor, but that is also where the agency behind them needs to set stricter guidelines for their instructors.

If anyone believes I put up posts trying to get thanks, then you need to notice I hide all of that stuff.

Peace to all PADI people :cool2: And now back to our regularly scheduled program of trying to figure out if a dangerous diver is really the PADI instructor he claims to be. :popcorn:

I don't really care if you make fun of PADi but have you ever considered that the instructer gave you insufficient training and not the agency?
PADI training does include buoyancy so the instructor so why didn't YOU report the instructor?

Fra a PADi, IANTD and CMAS traines that was taught boyancy with all agencies :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom