How to verify if someone is PADI instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why? Because regardless of what you think, it took a lot of work, and time to get there, and yes, I turn out really good divers too

Last edited by a moderator:
I was unable to obtain his number but I did hear back from my LDS.

He couldn't find his name listed anywhere but said having the number would tell for sure.

FWIW I am PADI OW certified.

Prove it........
LOL I don't have to, this is the internet and I can say, do, or be anything I want.

Alright...I will prove it. I paid for my class and they sold me a poodle jacket and split fins :depressed: Then taught us to dive overweighted and we did all of our drills kneeling on the bottom. Not sure what else you would need for proof that I am PADI certified :idk:

LOL I don't have to, this is the internet and I can say, do, or be anything I want.

Alright...I will prove it. I paid for my class and they sold me a poodle jacket and split fins :depressed: Then taught us to dive overweighted and we did all of our drills kneeling on the bottom. Not sure what else you would need for proof that I am PADI certified :idk:

I was thinking more along the lines of sending me your driver license number, DOB, SSN, PADI card and bank account numbers and I'll get back to you...:D

I make a point to hide my black cards

Many pros choose not to carry/use/show their pro-level certifications for what ever reason. Two good diver level cards to carry would be Advanced Nitrox, and Deco Procedures cards. With those two cards you can dive most anything (including the Nuclear Navy @ bikini atoll<-- on bucket list) and get deco gas if you so desire.

I have heard of dive operators of the Cattle boat variety asking travelling pros to babysit. That scares me since quite often I, personally, have trouble being assertive and telling someone where to go (in person).

If the OP is serious, then ask your instructor friend what his number is. If they really are an instructor, they will know it COLD. For PADI, just about every time you touch a sheet of paper you have to put your number and initials... of which you are likely to forget the initials first. Just get em to put their number down and you will know in 10 seconds here: ProCheck

Kind of off topic but why would you hide your status. All you have to do is say no if asked to babysit someone or say "sure sign this release and pay me $25-$50 per dive plus my boat ride is free". I have found that having instructor status known keeps the DM's or guides off my back when I decide to dive alone or deviate from their plan with my buddy who I choose. And I seem to remember when I first got certed being able to look for an instructor on their site as opposed to just dive centers.

Why? Because regardless of what you think, it took a lot of work, and time to get there, and yes, I turn out really good divers too

Wow...guilty conscience?

Not at all, just really sick of the PADI bashing.

OK, well if you were replying to my post I didnt use the words PADI Instructor. I am a PADI Instructor, why would I bash PADI?

Sounds to me like even if this guy is an instructor you wouldn't dive with him-let alone take a class. If that is true, it wouldn't be worth my time to 'catch him in a lie' but that is just me.

Some people just rub you the wrong way and you keep your distance and realize that even the most thorough vetting system will still let a few undeserving through.

Back
Top Bottom