How to verify if someone is PADI instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That will verify his status. IMHO, it is a very serious offense to claim to be an instructor when you are not and he NEEDS to be reported if he isn't. Are you sure he is claiming to be PADI?

I know you can't just throw a red flashing light on your car and get a fake badge and start pulling over hot chicks and strip searching them, but is someone gonna through you in jail for "Impersonating a PADI Scuba Diving Instructor?"

I know you can't just throw a red flashing light on your car and get a fake badge and start pulling over hot chicks and strip searching them, but is someone gonna through you in jail for "Impersonating a PADI Scuba Diving Instructor?"

Yes!

On a more serious note, no. But its offensive and PADI (or any other agency) has a right to know and publish that individual in their quarterly publication. Sure, its not really really bad but if some idiot is prancing around and saying its ok i'm a PADI instructor (and serious about it), he

a. Is giving the agency a bad rep (not necessarily PADI)
b. Could be potentially dangerous in what he teaches (if he's not an instructor)
c. Could be scamming people into his cert courses

etc. Just a precaution but not worthy of castration...

Ask for their instructor cert card. ...snip...

I make a point to hide my black cards

Many pros choose not to carry/use/show their pro-level certifications for what ever reason. Two good diver level cards to carry would be Advanced Nitrox, and Deco Procedures cards. With those two cards you can dive most anything (including the Nuclear Navy @ bikini atoll<-- on bucket list) and get deco gas if you so desire.

I have heard of dive operators of the Cattle boat variety asking travelling pros to babysit. That scares me since quite often I, personally, have trouble being assertive and telling someone where to go (in person).

If the OP is serious, then ask your instructor friend what his number is. If they really are an instructor, they will know it COLD. For PADI, just about every time you touch a sheet of paper you have to put your number and initials... of which you are likely to forget the initials first. Just get em to put their number down and you will know in 10 seconds here: ProCheck

Yes!

On a more serious note

Wait! Way too much material here.

A few guys are in a prison cell.

Guy 1- "What got you in here, guys? I'm here because that so-called hitman I was going to get on my exwife turned to be a cop! I'm here for life."

Guy 2- "I was running a loan shark operation, a few people got killed, here I am. I will probably die in this joint unless they fry me first. How about you, buddy?"

Guy 3- "I was impersonating a PADI Instructor. With good behavior I could be out of here in less than 5 years".

Is there some type of database I can search by name?

I know an individual who claims to be an instructor but I have a hard time believing him..

Casually say "Hey, I was on the PADI website last nite, and for fun I tried looking you up but couldn't find you". My guess is after that he'll either have an excuse or show you how to find him.

^ Though you are making me laugh, which I hope is the intention, I do believe it is wrong for someone to claim they are an instructor when they aren't and I am sure most instructors would agree. It is not illegal just unethical and deserving of the agencies attention...

Nevertheless, you are pretty funny...

^ Though you are making me laugh, which I hope is the intention, I do believe it is wrong for someone to claim they are an instructor when they aren't and I am sure most instructors would agree. It is not illegal just unethical and deserving of the agencies attention...

Nevertheless, you are pretty funny...

I modified the joke slightly since you read it.

Way too much time on my hands today.

That's a good idea.

When I mentioned I was taking OW classes he made the comment "Oh, I am a instructor I could have trained you to dive."

It's just hard for me to imagine that he is actually an instructor - really really hard.

It would be nice if PADI had an online database so I could print it out and leave it on his desk..

PADI does have a database but it is only available to Padi professionals or dive centers. Everyone has offered some very useful tips and suggestions, and to that point I would recommend either going to a local Dive shop and have them look him up using the database lookup tool called "Pro Check", or you can go to someone else who is a padi instructor and have them look the person up. Lastly you can call Padi and ask them directly. Tell them that you want to verify his teaching status because you want to take a class with him. You'll need his date of birth and full name.

Otherwise, you can ask for a Instructor card (if they carry one) which I don't myself, or ask them some question that only an instructor or anyone with internet might know... :)

The sad thing is that he is likely an instructor...PADI recommends professionalism but doesn't have any means to regulate it once the person passed the course. So whereas your co worker inspires no hope of professionalism or ability (guessing that is why you asked the question), it doesn't mean he can't be an instructor.

My advice, go to someone you trust that you feel comfortable with to learn from.

Have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom