How to verify if someone is PADI instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

softballer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is there some type of database I can search by name?

I know an individual who claims to be an instructor but I have a hard time believing him..

A PADI instructor wouldn't lie about something like that.

Just go to a PADI dive shop, and have the shop do a pro check, you will know then and there

It's not a person at a dive shop, it's someone I know personally (co-worker)

Ask him a question only a PADI instructor would know.

Ask for their instructor cert card. If it never manages to appear then I'd call them on it. Especially if they happen to be a rather...boastful person. I've got one guy at my job like that. Every time he says something with even a hint of ...disbelieveable-ness (??) I demand pictures or it didn't happen. So far there hasn't been much proof on his side.

Peace,
Greg

Ask him a question only a PADI instructor would know.

That's a good idea.

When I mentioned I was taking OW classes he made the comment "Oh, I am a instructor I could have trained you to dive."

It's just hard for me to imagine that he is actually an instructor - really really hard.

It would be nice if PADI had an online database so I could print it out and leave it on his desk..

That's a good idea.

When I mentioned I was taking OW classes he made the comment "Oh, I am a instructor I could have trained you to dive."

Ask him how many OW checkout divers are required, and if they can all be done in one day.

Call 1-800-PAY-PADI and you can verify his instructor status.

You should ask him for his instructor number (every instructor should know it by heart) and plug it into PADI Pro Chek

That will verify his status. IMHO, it is a very serious offense to claim to be an instructor when you are not and he NEEDS to be reported if he isn't. Are you sure he is claiming to be PADI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom