How to set Suunto Zoop to permanent Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcmermaid

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi Everyone.

I have a customer who strictly dives Nitrox (32%) and would like to set his Sunnto Zoop dive computer permanently to Nitrox. We have found in the manual how to set it but after the dive session or after two hours, it reverts back to regular air. The manual itself recommends setting the computer permanently to nitrox if a diver always uses nitrox. We have searched and searched the manual and all online documentation and nothing explains how to do it - setting the suunto zoop permanently to nitrox.

If you know how to do this, please share. My customer is a very nice elderly gentleman and he is frustrated.

Thanks,

Cheryl McMermaid, OWSI/MSDT

You can put it permanently into nitrox mode but as you said after two hours it will go back to 21% nitrox. This is safety precaution that forces you to enter your mix for each dive

Copy/Paste from Manual to confirm genxweb's post above:

The ZOOP can be set for diving with standard air only (Air mode) or it can be set for diving with Enriched Air Nitrox (Nitrox mode). If you are educated for nitrox diving and you plan to make nitrox dives, it is recommended that you set the dive computer permanently to its NITROX Mode. The Nitrox mode can be enabled by accessing MODE-SET-MODEL (see chapter 4.2. “Set Modes”).

If set to Nitrox mode, the correct oxygen percentage of the gas in your cylinder must always be entered into the computer to ensure correct nitrogen and oxygen calculations.

Hi. I guess the phrase "it is recommended that you set the dive computer permanently to its NITROX Mode." is misleading then? It cannot be permanently set to Nitrox as suggested?

You can permanently keep it on nitrox mode, but you can't permanently default it to one mix percentage while in that mode. Suunto would tell you it's carefully worded, and not intended to be misleading. The permanency is the mode not the mix.

The nitrox mode has a different display than the air mode. You have set it to the Nitrox mode. It should stay in this mode unless set back to air mode.

You cannot permanently set a particular MIX. If you use EAN32 you have to set it at the first dive of the day. As said before, it reverts back to EAN21 by default after a certain period of time.

You cannot permanently set a particular MIX. If you use EAN32 you have to set it at the first dive of the day. As said before, it reverts back to EAN21 by default after a certain period of time.

this is the correct answer don't forget that EAN21% is a mix!

and yes, it's a pain in the neck. But after splashing a couple times and forgetting, he will get in the habit of checking it. The better solution is to dive more. :) What the Gekko (basically the same) manual says is it resets "when a new dive series is started" - so basically if it clears to whatever point it decides that is. If I'm getting in 4 a day it will generally stay where I set it for a whole trip. It's only 2 hours if you set it and then don't dive.

Or a Shearwater Petrel or Predator, which will let you switch and edit gases during the dive. Diving 32% and set the computer for 21/00? No problem, just pull up 32/00 and select it. Didn't enter 32/00 as an option before splashing? Still no problem, just pick an undefined gas or one you're not using, edit it to be 32/00, and select that.

And all without batting at the edges of your computer like some kind of meth-addled cat :wink:

Back
Top Bottom