Oceanic+ - A Second Look With Serious Failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same issue with the Action button not functioning to get past the "I'm fit and ready to dive" prompt, around the same time as you (mine was on the weekend of Nov 4/5). Huish technical support asked for screenshots and ultimately suggested it was a motion sensors permissions issue, but the Oceanic+ app already had access to the motion sensors under "Fitness Tracking". Ultimately I restarted the AWU and it resolved the issue, my suspicion is the watchOS update that occurred around the time caused the problem with the action button. The action button was also not working the same way during workouts, for example it would mark a segment instead of pausing workout as it did before the update. A simple power cycle fixed both the Oceanic+ and Workout action button functions. Annoyingly the lack of action button function on those ghost dives meant that I couldn't shut off the haptic alarm for the entire 3 minutes safety stop.

Another annoying issue that occurred is when I tried to buy a single day pass in Oceanic+, rather than a month. Tried to make a purchase 3 times for a single day, and got charged $5 each time, but the app wouldn't allow access to the scuba mode license. Finally bought a month access for $10 to make it work. Fortunately Apple refunded the 3 charges for $5, but it's just frustrating to deal with these friction points.

I'm done with using AWU even as my backup computer. I've used it on about 30ish dives this year with my Perdix 2 being primary. I've run into all the usual issues people complain about and mostly was able to find work arounds.

Not this past weekend. I had two dives and on the first after I splashed I saw the "I'm fit and ready to dive" screen as normal, but after punching the action button nothing happened. Pushed it again and again and still nothing. I shrugged and continued the dive as normal. On surfacing I had to turn off the water lock and sure enough it had logged the entire dive, but never got out of "I'm fit and ready to dive". I pondered if maybe there was an issue with water pressure on the button or something and just to make sure all was good, on my second dive I put it into dive mode before splashing... but once in the water it behaved exactly the same. Never actually "activated" yet recorded the whole dive. Like what's the point of that??

Back on dry land I realized it still won't work. I guess I'm going to reinstall the app to see if that fixes it but seriously, this is just bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom