How to remove stripped frozen DIN Insert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guy. True-Value or Napa should have those square easy outs. I also broke my share of twist easy out on auto exhaust manifold bolts.

There are very few problems in this world that cannot be solved with the application of high explosives.:bomb: :popcorn:

unfortunatly Northwoods I live in an apartment complex lol.

I agree with a lot of what's been said.

Start with some quality time in warm water. Get a screw extractor that will get a good bite in the insert. As you start with the extractor tap lightly on the tap handle. This will help the easy-out get a good bite and the impact will break bonds.

You don't want to beat on the extractor so much that it acts as a wedge and grows the insert diameter.

Pete

I take it the extractor has hard sharp edges and will cut into the hole to make a bite in it. Maybe like a pot broach? By the way the insert has the smaller of the types of inserts.

yes, look closely at this pic ... http://static.zoovy.com/img/usfreight/-/easyout6

Do as spectrum suggests and tap on it to get it in and then try to turn it while holding it into the insert tightly .. then repeat if/when it slips .. remember, your just taping on it, not trying to punch a hole through the insert :wink:

The extractor is basically a self tapping left hand threaded tool. Hence the same CCW rotation that screws it into the stuck item applies the torque that removes the insert, drilled out bolt or whatever. If you don't apply a little forward force it can just chew things up.

The insert is frozen due to salt and corrosion products in the threads. Do the soak in white vinager or you can see if you can find some SALT-X. Either will do it. If you don't you may be hitting your head on the wall trying to get the insert out.

As you have enough stuff to freeze the insert, the valve stem is most likely also ready for cleaning. SO, figure on a full valve rebuild, replace the o-rings and perhaps the valve seat.

Next time, pull the insert every few dives and wash out the threads.

Good point on the rebuild Gill diver.
I think a new OMS DIN valve may be my best bet. The knob is also stiff to turn.

Extractor $20
Valve rebuild $20 +
Tank Down time.
Maybe I cant get the insert off after buying the extractor and Ill need a new valve anyway..

Ill feel better with the new valve and it will be less aggravation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom