Question Apeks DST not fitting tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you certain it's not leaking from where the din module screws into the main body of the regulator?

This is a good possibility. A friend of mine had similar problem and it turned out that the DIN part wasn't tightened properly (to proper torque). I used my torque wrench and tightened it to specs and all was OK afterwards.

This is a good possibility. A friend of mine had similar problem and it turned out that the DIN part wasn't tightened properly (to proper torque). I used my torque wrench and tightened it to specs and all was OK afterwards.
Probably was. Issues arises when people use to twist the reg body itself to unscrew the regulator from tank.

When dive op tanks haven't had their din inserts removed in a while bog can build up outboard of the oring

So screw it hard and screw it good

Also the sealing face of the valve gets chewed up

so you run one of these through it

If the stem of the DIN valve on the DST was loose and the O-ring popped out then subsequent retighten could mean damage of the O ring.
I have experienced it few times especially on the deco reg.
Crew tends to hold the 1st stage to lift the tank and inadvertently loosen the stem. This is one of the poor design of Apeks DIN attachment.

Are you certain it's not leaking from where the din module screws into the main body of the regulator?
Good question. I checked and indeed the air was coming through the valve (as if the reg hadn't been tightened enough or o-ring didn't properly seal), not the reg side...
A friend of mine had similar problem and it turned out that the DIN part wasn't tightened properly (to proper torque).
... but now I'm worried about this. The black piece of the 1st stage (in between the screw and the body) in each reg moves ever so slightly but I believe that's more a feature than malfunction.

So screw it hard and screw it good
Giggity.

In the end, the guy at the shop tightened the reg all the way in on one tank and it worked well. He couldn't tighten the other one in at all, so I believe it was more of a tank issue. He suggested I bring my regs each time I rent tanks.

One potential solution: buy my own tank valves (travel too much for the tanks themselves)
-- but the hassle, not to mention verifying fit (M25 vs 3/4 - 14) each time...

... but now I'm worried about this. The black piece of the 1st stage (in between the screw and the body) in each reg moves ever so slightly but I believe that's more a feature than malfunction.
Just don't overtighten regs when mounting on tanks and don't use body to unscrew it afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom