Question Apeks DST not fitting tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayscold

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I brought my Apeks XTX50-DST (DIN, 300bar) from Europe to Australia where I rented a couple tanks for a rec dive (DIN insert removed). They're aluminium 3/4-14 (230bar) and my reg doesn't screw in all the way, releasing air when I turn on the tank -- I don't want to screw it in further and damage anything.

Should I be asking for a specific tank, valve, thread, etc with this particular regulator, particularly in Australia? I'll be in SM so I don't want to go down the adapter route.

It is normal that the reg does not screw in all the way, as you have a 200 bar DIN valve and the reg is designed to seal in both 200 and 300 bar DIN valves (which have more threads). It shouldn't leak. Is the o-ring at the end of the male DIN stem on your first stage present? If yes, check that it is not damaged.

Hi all, I brought my Apeks XTX50-DST (DIN, 300bar) from Europe to Australia where I rented a couple tanks for a rec dive (DIN insert removed). They're aluminium 3/4-14 (230bar) and my reg doesn't screw in all the way, releasing air when I turn on the tank -- I don't want to screw it in further and damage anything.

Should I be asking for a specific tank, valve, thread, etc with this particular regulator, particularly in Australia? I'll be in SM so I don't want to go down the adapter route.
I dive with DIN regulators and have tanksee with 300 and 240 Bar valves. Never a problem. Screw the reg into the valve until the O-ring on the first stage face is firmly seated against the back of the valve

IIRC there was some weird EU regulation regarding DIN fittings way back. I bought a new Mares first stage and it was a different size from my other ones. Fortunately I was able to return it.

IIRC there was some weird EU regulation regarding DIN fittings way back. I bought a new Mares first stage and it was a different size from my other ones. Fortunately I was able to return it.

Yes, regulators (and valves) for Nitrox service (not sure if >40% only or including <40%) are different thread.

Yes, regulators (and valves) for Nitrox service (not sure if >40% only or including <40%) are different thread.
M26x2 for breathing gases with O2 > 21%, G5/8 for everything else :wink:. And wer are not discussing the reasoning behind that again here :popcorn:.
As for the OPs issue, I suspect one of the following:
- the regulator was not screwed in all the way; yes some threads will be visible
- the O-ring is damaged or missing
- the connection shaft is loose

Thanks all for the comments. I can confirm I got new O-rings (recently serviced). Also, I was aware that a couple threads would be "out" (300 vs 232 bar) but when I went as far as I thought was necessary, it still leaked. Any further and I'd risk screwing something up (pun very much intended), so I left it at that.

IIRC there was some weird EU regulation regarding DIN fittings way back. I bought a new Mares first stage and it was a different size from my other ones.
This is what I was thinking about too and wondered if others had a similar issue in other countries, particularly AU.

Nitrox service (not sure if >40% only or including <40%) are different thread.
This part I have no idea about.

I believe my regs are G5/8s. Not M26 / not O2 clean.

Also, the tank seems a little older, so I was curious if there was an EU vs AU standard tank/valve size issue at play. Tried 2 of the same regs on both tanks, same same. Next time I rent, I'll bring my regs to make sure.

I believe my regs are G5/8s. Not M26
In that case they should screw in without an issue, double check the correct O-ring is installed.

Back
Top Bottom