How to determine what regs to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turtlemoye

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've looked through some other threads but still have a few questions. I've got a set of old US Divers regs (dont' know model #s) that someone gave me about 3 years ago that I have been using with no issues. I had them serviced and all the hoses replaced by my LDS when purchased and again they seem to work fine with about 50 dives in the last 3 years.

From time to time I've had people joke about how old they are and even though he says they are safe my LDS owner said he wouldn't dive with them. I'm sure some may argue that I do or don't need to replace them but that really isn't the question. Assuming I do how do I go about determining what I want in a new set of regs? I don't plan to dive cold weather and would prefer to purchase used if possible to save on funds. Call me frugal but I would rather spend money on dive trips than equipment. Ideally I would like to stay under $300 for 1st, 2nd, and alternate or maybe $500 with gauges.

Why did you have all the hoses replaced? Were they cracked or leaking? Was this your idea or the LDS? Before you decide on a next step, I think it would be smart to determine if you got "hosed" in the last one.

It sounds like you already put money into your current reg.

Does it do what you need it to do?

Are you happy or unhappy w/it?

What is it's effort of breathing?

Why buy a new used reg. ?

Did you ask him "WHY" he wouldn't dive with them? I mean, the guy does make a living selling SCUBA equipment, right?

Sounds like your regs are just fine. But if you really do *want* (not *need*) to upgrade there are plenty of good choices for under $500. If you want to send business to your LDS, ask him what you can get for $500. You should easily be able to get a decent balanced / adjustable reg with guage for $500 new.

Heck, if you aren't worried about cold water best of the best here's a decent deal:

Aeris A1 Regulator - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

$199.95 for a 1st/2nd and Octo. Do you just need an SPG (ie you computer is your depth guage)? ($70) Do you need SPG and Depth? ($119.99)

DRIS and ScubaToys both have some good deals on Hog, Edge, Aeries, Sherwood. Hell, I'll even throw out ask BeaverDivers what he can get you into as far as SubGear goes.

Point is, you can get a lot of reg for $500. If you need it at all...

---------- Post Merged at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Why did you have all the hoses replaced? Were they cracked or leaking? Was this your idea or the LDS? Before you decide on a next step, I think it would be smart to determine if you got "hosed" in the last one.

Well, I can think of one brand (Hog) that doesn't come with hoses so maybe it's not "wasted" money. :)

---------- Post Merged at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Could it be? A post from BeaverDivers that I truely like? :)

I dive some very old stuff so I probably would not replace them but that isn't what you asked.

If you are going to replace them then buy a brand that you can get serviced (most prefer local as do I)

Consider that in that $500 you have in the budget you probably need to get your new-used set up serviced before going out (so you probably have closer to $400 to spend)

Sounds like you don't need anything rated for cold water, I would look for something mid-line that someone bought in the last year or so and now they decided diving isn't for them.

Really there is so much good stuff out there it is hard to say...I will tell you this, if you want to sell your old stuff send me a PM :)

The hoses were cracked. Thankfully I do fully trust my LDS but if I can get a something similar to what he is offering for $200 less that's $200 more I can spend on a dive boat.

The hoses were cracked. Thankfully I do fully trust my LDS but if I can get a something similar to what he is offering for $200 less that's $200 more I can spend on a dive boat.

What brands does your LDS sell?

Yes, you can get quality used gear in your price range.

I would go w/ a Scubapro MK25/G250.

It is an excellent reg.

When selecting regs, I looked at what the people diving what I want to dive were using.

Most were diving ScubaPro rigs, S600/MK25's mostly, one A700/MK25, and one S600/MK17.

I opted for the S600/MK25 setup since that's what most of the people around were using and am very happy with it. They use it commonly in the North Atlantic without having any issues down to 132'.

If I start doing specialized diving, I'll start to adapt my equipment accordingly. But right off the bat, most of my gear was selected based on recommendations of others, and what they use themselves.

Well, it hasn't failed me yet.

Happy but I don't really know what I'm missing. I feel like I'm riding around in an 87 Buick. It gets me there but it ain't pretty.

Hard to say as it's the only thing I've used since I got it and can't compare.

To save money if possible. If I could find the same set up for a decent discount say $200 less or so I would consider it. But I will say again that I really do like my LDS owners and it is awkward taking used gear to them to get it serviced. I used to work in a bike shop and we would have people come in who could buy parts online cheaper then what we paid at wholesale but they would need us to install it. We would do it but sometimes but those obviously weren't the folks that we did favors for. As I type this out I guess I'm kinda answering my own question of where to buy and should just trust them to make suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom