How to determine what regs to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so I'm clear.... He serviced the set including a whole set of new hoses and then told you it's not something he would dive with. He could be saying that for a lot of reasons ranging from safety to envy thus trolling for you to trade it in. If it's fully serviced and breathes to your liking I don't know why your replace it unless it has skeletons in the closet.

Specifics and pictures may enlighten some here.

Pete

So did he tell you he wouldn't dive the regs before or after he charged you something on the order of $100 (I'm guessing) to service them and replace hoses? Judging by your reaction to his comment, I'd guess if he said that before taking your money, you would have hesitated having the service done and gone straight to considering replacements. I'm sure your LDS owner wouldn't have done that on purpose... :rolleyes:

I agree that you should either determine the model of the first and second stages, or take pics and post that here. That would make it much easier to determine if there is anything to be gained by replacing them. If they are Conshelf's, XII/XIV or newer, the only reason to replace them would be if you had the burning desire to spend money on gear you don't need.

Thanks for all the warnings. Yes he runs a business by selling dive gear. Yes I trust him and I'm not naive to this fact. I am in sales myself and not everyone in sales is out to rip you off. We occasionally go on dive trips together (yeah yeah, I know how those work too, usually the organizer is comped) and he spent about an hour today helping me figure out how/why I went into deco on a recent dive but that's another story.

For clarification: I took the regs to him and ask him to make sure they were safe to use. He gave me a price for the parts and service and he delivered on his end. He wasn't the one who joked about how old they were. I asked him again today if they were completly safe to use and he said yes and that they still manufacture the 2nd stages to use in the Navy except mine is plastic. The reasons he cited for him personally not using them were newer models offer better flow, are smaller and lighter for travel purposes, and less jaw fatigue but at no point has he suggested I replace them. I did enquire if they would be getting rid of any of their rental gear and he said in a few months they may and he also said he may be replacing some of his personal gear soon and would let me know if he was getting rid of anything.

I will try to post pics tomorrow but as I said in the original post I wasn't trying to start a debate on should I or shouldn't I, the question was assuming I did replace them how do I go about determining what to buy?

You have a fully serviced Conshelf 21 or SE2 with all brand new hoses. It's probably the most competent regulator ever made. I see no reason to replace it.
The only significant upgrade you could make would be to replace the primary 2nd stage with a balanced one.
I'd suggest you keep service easy and go with an AquaLung LX or an Apeks.

I will try to post pics tomorrow but as I said in the original post I wasn't trying to start a debate on should I or shouldn't I, the question was assuming I did replace them how do I go about determining what to buy?

Then since we all misunderstood, buy whatever you want, the most expensive is usually good.

BTW, I never said he was ripping you off.

Good luck.

N

Thanks for all the warnings. Yes he runs a business by selling dive gear. Yes I trust him and I'm not naive to this fact. I am in sales myself and not everyone in sales is out to rip you off.

Well, he did service your regs and then tell you he wouldn't dive with them. That combination of actions and statements pretty much says he's either a bad, irresponsible service tech or he's trying to sell you something new for no apparent reason. If he wouldn't dive with the regulator you brought in, he never should have serviced it in the first place. He should also explain to you specifically why he wouldn't dive with it.

If what you have is an old conshelf that is in good condition and has been serviced and adjusted properly, and you still want to get something new, get an aqualung titan. That way you can spend money and end with pretty much exactly the reg you already own. (except with nice new plastic instead of old boring metal) Once you realize that, you will hopefully be cured of the desire to needlessly replace dive gear.:D

That's a very valuable lesson to learn, maybe I'll be able learn it too!

I do truely believe that everyone who replied is trying to be as helpful as possible but some of you strike me as pretty jaded as well. I thought my last response would be suffient in explaning why he said he wouldn't dive with them. I equate it to someone taking their Chevy pickup to a mechanic to get it worked on and the mechanic says he wouldn't drive it b/c he preferd Fords or maybe a truck wasn't practial for him so he drove a sedan.

This will likely be my last reply to this thread and again I thank everyone who replied and tried to help me one way or another.Edited..... Pic removed and correct pics posted below

Last edited:
Am I jaded? Sure, a little. Am I trying to help? Sure. Personally, I think you are fine and just keep diving it. Save your $$$ for other toys is my opinion.

But hey, if you really want to upgrade... it doesn't matter to me. (Yup, there's that jaded part again...) I do believe many around here are being helpful when they say that regulator design really hasn't changed that much over the years.

Looks like a SEA first and not 100% sure on the second-maybe an SE3 or a 21? Regardless, that is the first stage I use every week and that looks like the second stage my wife dives with. Nothing wrong with those at all.

It is easy for us to jump to conclusions when you hear of an LDS owner telling a customer "I wouldn't dive with that thing" or something of the sort. From your clarification I doubt he had any malicious intent when he said it. I guess if I owned a dive shop, I wouldn't dive that reg either. But just because he wouldn't dive it, doesn't necessarily mean there's any reason you shouldn't dive it though.

Let's say you made your original inquiry a little different and just left out the fact that you owned a reg and the comments you'd received about it, and only asked for advice about choosing a new reg that gives good value for the money. One reg that would undoubtedly have been suggested would be the Aqualung Titan. As halocline already hinted at the Titan is just a cosmetically warmed over Conshelf with practically identical performance. (Your photo shows a SEA first stage, which is arguably a Conshelf in a "T" configuration) So it turns out you already own a reg that basically fits the description of what you are looking for in a reg.

That said, if my only set of regs were the one's you currently own, I would replace at least one 2nd stage. IMO two of the most undervalued characteristics of scuba regulators are simplicity and durability. If you agree with that statement, I'd suggest putting a metal 2nd stage from the conshelf XIV or earlier series on your set. This would also give you the performance benefits of less drymouth, and resistance to freezing. If you place greater value on outright breathing performance then do as Fishpie suggested and get a Titan LX 2nd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom