How to determine what regs to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Correct photos: 20121001_221754 (1).jpg20121001_221739.jpg

That is a Conshelf 21. The 21 has the best 1st stage port layout of the Conshelf series. Definitely a keeper.

What Six2Life said. I have a Conshelf 21 in my collection and it's one of my main go to regs, along with my Conshelf 14 and my Aquamaster. I have an all metal Conshelf XII second on the 21 and use its original, plastic 2nd as an octo. The all metal seconds are definitely better, IMHO.

I do truely believe that everyone who replied is trying to be as helpful as possible but some of you strike me as pretty jaded as well.

That's because almost every day on this forum someone posts a story in which they were given false or misleading information from a dive shop employee about regulators, and that information was given with the intent to sell dive gear. It doesn't paint a very good picture. Maybe your experience was not like that, but it is pretty much exactly the way you presented it. A lot of communication is lost in these types of forums, unfortunately.

Certainly there are excellent dive shops in which the owner and employees are first and foremost there to assist divers and create a positive atmosphere for diving in their area. But sometimes it seems as if that's the exception, not the rule. It's a weird business model; you have a recreational activity in which training is required, and instructor certification is required to train someone; that certification costs a few thousand dollars. You then have the same people (or business) responsible for training also selling gear, in fact the reason training is offered is to create a market for the gear sales. This puts the instructor in an awkward position; are the people in the class true 'students' or are they simply 'customers' and part of dive instruction ends up being gear sales, directly or indirectly. This is a recipe for less-than-stellar gear advice.

Ultimately, both dive gear sales and especially training would probably be better off if they were separated.

Back
Top Bottom