Question Aqualung Regulator age?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the picture of the 1st stage. It looks like some corrosion around the dust cap. That should be easily rinsed even if you remotely try to rinse your rig. Maybe it is just the picture quality, but it may indicate it was not well taken care of.
Yeah, I saw that & knew they would need to be serviced, at a minimum. With corrosion like that, can it be scrubbed off & recoated or anything? Never messed with brass much, so I'm learning! It looks like this setup is to be avoided, so I'll just keep saving for good kit.

I would avoid the set. Keep an eye out here on scuba board. There are a lot of quality people selling quality regs.

Yeah, I saw that & knew they would need to be serviced, at a minimum. With corrosion like that, can it be scrubbed off & recoated or anything? Never messed with brass much, so I'm learning! It looks like this setup is to be avoided, so I'll just keep saving for good kit.
The body of the first stage is chrome plated brass. Corrosion can be removed, but the chrome might go with it leaving you with streaks of brass showing. For a diaphragm reg like this one that's more of a cosmetic issue than a functional one However if the corrosion is also internal, you are looking at potentially replacing a bunch of parts that are either damaged or it wouldn't be cost effective to clean.

We can actually break this down. Here's a schematic of that first stage:
titan.png

If water got inside and was allowed to sit there long enough for external corrosion to become visible, then we've got our work cut out for us. Every part for KEY# 3 through 22 (except for the sticker :) ) would potentially be affected by this. The parts shown in boldface are replaced during a normal service, so we don't have to worry about those. But all of the others are going to require more time to get clean than would normally be needed in a service and then will have to be carefully inspected to ensure there are no problems. Some of the parts will likely end up being replaced. For example, I'd probably throw in a new spring kit (# 8) for $20 instead of taking the time to clean and verify the existing springs.

Without a tear down and inspection, it is hard to say if more than a regular service is needed. but I have seen regs in worse shape get serviced and returned to working order. if the other gear like bcd and fins are in good shape, it increases the chances the corrosion is just cosmetic too. at which point 200 isn't that bad of a deal if you are happy with somewhat basic 2nd stages.

Based on what I'm seeing and the fact that I'm a noob at buying equipment, I'll just hold off on getting these. Probably going to get a DGX setup before long; seems like quality stuff, and I can maintain it myself without any hassle.

Thanks!

For $200, I will part with the Titan 1st stage and add a Zeagle Z2 Octo/Inflator...then you will just need hoses and a primary 2nd stage.
1715901897680.png

1715901908358.png

1715901923092.png

-Z

Thanks, Zef, but I'm not a huge fan of Octo inflators. I like the streamlined setups that seem to be fairly popular, and I'm leaning towards a BPW. The DGX stuff seems solid, and its reasonably priced for new gear.

Thanks, Zef, but I'm not a huge fan of Octo inflators. I like the streamlined setups that seem to be fairly popular, and I'm leaning towards a BPW. The DGX stuff seems solid, and its reasonably priced for new gear.
Good call. Zef tried to dump that thing on me too. :) I think he got it in a trade.

I should state though that it will work just as well with a BP/W as any other BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom