• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

How to deal with a power inflator that is stuck open at depth?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba' started by kelemvor, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Tigerman

Tigerman Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    At the same time, would we be surprised if not all standards where followed by all instructors in any given agency? :/

2. AfterDark

AfterDark Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    You could also try folding (kinking) the LP hose to slow/stop the air going thru the hose while you are removing it from the inflator.

3. bergersau

bergersau Contributor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    DGE have power inflators for $14.95 .
    Replace the power inflator and there should be no more problem.

AfterDark likes this.
  4. windapp

windapp Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I second the other comments made here. Your pull dumps can let air out a lot faster than your power inflator can let air in, buying you time to disconnect the hose. The connector is specifically designed so that you can disconnect it under pressure. If you cannot do that easily, buy a new hose. They are not very expensive.

AfterDark likes this.
  5. idive2

idive2 Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The super light depressing of the button is not the root of the problem but it does seem to encourage
    sticking when there are other problems with the inflator. The inflator hose can be tougher to get off when
    pressurized especially with gloves. I have recently been working on inflating my smb with my inflator hose
    and can say removing and reattaching it does take a little effort.

6. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    ThIs is scary. Stuck inflator is not that unusual. The air 2 is much easier to disconnect.

tracydr likes this.
  7. D_B

D_B Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    one reason is that the Air2 (others?) has a larger coupling than a regular fitting so it is easier to get a hold of

8. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Contributor

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    if it makes you feel better, we practiced this in OW confined dives and it took me over 5 minutes and a bit of help to get it unconnected. There is no way I could get it released in an emergency.

9. ianr33

ianr33 Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499

That is exactly what I would do. Go vertical and push the deflate button. The air will just go up.The extra pressure at the bottom of the wing will help it deflate as well. It works. I've tried it.
    Next,disconnect the hose. If you can't do that, turn off the tank valve to stop losing gas. At this point having either an attentive buddy, or doubles/pony would be handy !

10. boulderjohn

boulderjohn Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    i used to teach with a shop where we had this problem. IN some cases I, the instructor, could not get it off. We all complained, and they got new hoses. Suddenly it was easy as pie.

tracydr likes this.