How to assemble DSMB / spool with line swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First time I ever saw these was on aliexpress.... have to cut one apart to see how it's made... its not very obvious...
Hot pressed or something...
Seems quite tough and strong...
But probably a copy of someone else's.....
They look just like the Apeks ones.

Always remember my first dive torch. Didn't work. The second one worked for two dives. Third one worked a bit longer, but seemed to literally melt as the metal corroded. Forth torch was exceedingly finicky with the piezo button and broke within 5 dives. Finally gave up with cheap tat and bought a LightForMe which still works.

Agreed that not all Chinese stuff is crap. But they do jump through ridiculous hoops to copy other people's kit even if they use soft "modelling" metals and paint instead of quality alloy and anodising.

Had a lot of success with my Hi-Max strobe that survived a 70m dip and appears quite good.

And there is no guarantee the Apeks swivel won't fall apart at the first outing either.

The Swivel itself represents a failure point that can/should be eliminated (if one is concerned with failure points). Apeks didn't invent the swivel and I highly doubt they have any intellectual property right claims to it.

Your statement lacks scruples because you have provided no evidence to back up what you have stated.

If you'd do us a favour and buy some and tell us if they work or not.

I'll stand by my accusation of rampant theft of intellectual property by copying and frequent poor quality.

Having said that; I've several Apeks spools and have used them for a few years. Their swivels may well be those as an OEM, but we'll never know. Whilst the Apeks swivels aren't that good at swivelling, they definitely don't fall apart.

There is a dude that has bought a number of Aliexpress SMBs and spools, and has created videos on them.

Personally I buy the DGX versions, which are cheaper than Apeks, but more expensive but they do the QC and pick the right Chinese companies to make them.

I'll stand by my accusation of rampant theft of intellectual property by copying and frequent poor quality.

Having said that; I've several Apeks spools and have used them for a few years. Their swivels may well be those as an OEM, but we'll never know. Whilst the Apeks swivels aren't that good at swivelling, they definitely don't fall apart.

Put your money where your mouth is and purchase some to compare to what you have.

I have no use for a swivel on DSMB regardless of origin/source.

One might find that Apeks is utilizing the same source for their swivel as that listed at the link provided earlier.

And without evidence to the contrary, your accusation is totally baseless.

-Z

All of the videos that I have seen on how to deploy a dsmb show you taking the spool out and then attaching it to the DSMB.
Same here, all of the videos I've seen show the spool and SMB not pre-attached.

How come you don’t stow it pre-attached ?

I DO pre-attach mine,
I attach the SMB permanently to the loop.
I see no reason not to for the type of diving I do.

Re the swivel: Each time the line is wrapped around the spool it puts a turn in the line. The idea of the swivel it to allow the turn to be removed before it reaches the floating SMB. I use a simple fishing swivel.

Reactions: Zef
Re the swivel: Each time the line is wrapped around the spool it puts a turn in the line. The idea of the swivel it to allow the turn to be removed before it reaches the floating SMB. I use a simple fishing swivel.

That depends upon how you wrap your line on your ascent. The two techniques I use does not cause the line to turn or twist.

That depends upon how you wrap your line on your ascent. The two techniques I use does not cause the line to turn or twist.

Well, this old dog would like to learn a new trick (or two.) Please elaborate.

Same here, all of the videos I've seen show the spool and SMB not pre-attached.

I DO pre-attach mine,

I see no reason not to for the type of diving I do.

Sorry man, meant to say "why THEY don't stow it pre-attached"

Well, this old dog would like to learn a new trick (or two.) Please elaborate.

It's kind of hard to explain but I'll give it a shot. I'll have to have a buddy film me on ascent sometime. However, since I primarily dive solo, that may be awhile!

(1) My first method is to simply rotate the spool and leave the line alone. I hold the spool in both hands ... one on the left and one on the right and just slowly rotate the spool without touching the line at all. This allows for a super slow ascent. I use this method when I have plenty of time and want to come up nice and slow. The line isn't turned or twisted because I'm not touching it at all. The line is completely free to untwist itself as I ascend. While horizontal I hold the line out in front of my face. I slowly rotate the spool to reload the line. This process can get tiring on the forearms so I don't typically do it for the entire ascent. I will alternate with my second method.

(2) My second method is to hold the spool with my right hand and place the index finger of my left hand on the line above the spool without actually grabbing the line. Push the line away from my face with that finger again without grabbing the line, slowly bring that left index finger down while simultaneously raising the spool in my right hand and pushing it out in front of me. Then finally bring the line down below the spool and toward me with my left finger again without grasping the line, and once it is fully below the spool release it. That completes one wrap of the line. Sounds complicated but it can actually be done quickly and repetitively.

Hard to explain but hopefully you kind of get an idea. In both methods the key is to NOT grasp the line. You always want the line free to turn while it is connect to the DSMB on the surface above. You get twists in the line when you grasp it and physically wrap it around the spool. The line will naturally remain primarily untwisted using both of the methods I've listed.

I typically use a combination of these two methods on each ascent. Only the final few feet of line will I grasp it and wrap it. That is so that I can re-secure it with the double ender.

I use these methods when shooting a DSMB from any depth down to 70-80'. If I'm planning to shoot a DSMB from deeper than that I will bring my Larry Green reel and use that instead.

Also, as I do not use my spool for anything other than deploying my SMB, I attach the SMB permanently to the loop.

How do you clip if off so that it doesn’t come undone, or you lose your double ender, while it’s in a pocket/clipped to a D-ring? I thought I found a thread once where someone came up with a great way to do this, maybe RayfromTX?, but can’t find it now. I’ve tried a couple of things but they seem inefficient, and possibly ineffective in the long run. Thanks for the input!

Erik

Back
Top Bottom