How to assemble DSMB / spool with line swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you clip if off so that it doesn’t come undone, or you lose your double ender, while it’s in a pocket/clipped to a D-ring?
I thread the loop through the spool like this-see 5:21

But BEFORE I thread it, I attach the SMB midway in the loop.
IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1868.JPG

I'm not DIR so I'm allowed to have a right hip D-ring. That's what I clip the assembly to.

Well, this old dog would like to learn a new trick (or two.) Please elaborate.

Here is a video that explains a good technique to use:

-Z

Also a member of the Rebel Alliance of the Right Waist D-Ringers.

I think it’s superior to the use of a second waist belt buckle which is, IMO, overkill.

Also a member of the Rebel Alliance of the Right Waist D-Ringers.

I think it’s superior to the use of a second waist belt buckle which is, IMO, overkill.

Honestly the more I dive, the more things DIR recommends make sense. Like the right D-ring, I have one on all my backplates, I thought it was nonsense. But now I never use it because it gets in the way of donating my long hose. I'll probably replace it with my the mock canister stick that I have.

I have one there to keep my can light under control.

If I don’t have my can light on, I use a Snoopy loop to keep the D-ring flat against my belt.

"Look ma no hands!"

Even loose like this, no come off

full.jpg

These guys never ever ever fall off to the bottom of the ocean

and here is how it is done i'ts one loop twice around the spool

full.jpg

And, with one clip to the Dee ring on the right or the Dee ring on the left, just depending on which is at the time right

Can someone tell me please where the drillers get all that time for drilling when there's barely enough time for diving

Exactly! Why would you not?

I carry two DSMBs, one in each pocket. Where I dive they are a critical tool and I'm a believer in always having a backup for all critical tools. Both of mine have the spool pre-attached. I have no clue why you would NOT pre-attach the spool. Why leave yourself one extra step? The only possible reason I can think of is that you want the spool available for some other use. If that is the case, bring a 2nd spool. They are tiny!
My DSMBs are attached semi-"permanently" to very tiny spools, with about 20ft (6m) of line. The idea is I can deploy it, and hang out at safety-stop depth, even if my computer craps out & I'm a little disoriented.

I want to make that process as simple as possible. Pull out DSMB and open up, grab spool, inflate, and launch. When you're narc'd, tired, dehydrated, cold, gloves, disoriented by equipment, or potential mild emergency .... the last thing I want to deal with is finding two items, ensuring I clip them together correctly, fumble with line, watch my computer for depth, avoid dropping things, deal with tangled line, etc.

I also have a separate 90ft spool, which I could always attach fairly easily if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom