How to assemble DSMB / spool with line swivel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Looking for a resource video instructional on how best to assemble / utilize a DSMB + spool where the line itself has one of those metal swivels?

Not looking to just stuff it in a BCD / drysuit pocket but assemble properly to be clipped to D ring.

Attachments

• IMG-4028.jpg
    IMG-4028.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 337
I’m not sure the swivel has any real bearing on how to hook it up (or even really does much good to begin with). I have one just like your photo and I just loop the loopy part (after the swivel) through an eyelet on the SMB and then over the spool, like you’d do if there weren’t a swivel.

I noticed you have a spool, not a reel in your picture, so I attached a link to a video on how I basically set mine up. Other than that, I put the swivel at the depth I generally use for a safety stop.

Also, as I do not use my spool for anything other than deploying my SMB, I attach the SMB permanently to the loop.

I noticed you have a spool, not a reel in your picture, so I attached a link to a video on how I basically set mine up. Other than that, I put the swivel at the depth I generally use for a safety stop.

Also, as I do not use my spool for anything other than deploying my SMB, I attach the SMB permanently to the loop.

All of the videos that I have seen on how to deploy a dsmb show you taking the spool out and then attaching it to the DSMB. How come you don’t stow it pre-attached ?

All of the videos that I have seen on how to deploy a dsmb show you taking the spool out and then attaching it to the DSMB. How come you don’t stow it pre-attached ?

Exactly! Why would you not?

I carry two DSMBs, one in each pocket. Where I dive they are a critical tool and I'm a believer in always having a backup for all critical tools. Both of mine have the spool pre-attached. I have no clue why you would NOT pre-attach the spool. Why leave yourself one extra step? The only possible reason I can think of is that you want the spool available for some other use. If that is the case, bring a 2nd spool. They are tiny!

That swivel is on an Apeks "very" expensive spool. Not sure the swivel works in reality.

If you're after one on your home-made spool, have a nose at the fishing community; they've lots of swivels which will work.

They'll copy and steal anyone's intellectual property. No scruples at all.

And those would probably fall apart at the first outing - no guarantees, etc.
Fishing swivels...

First time I ever saw these was on aliexpress.... have to cut one apart to see how it's made... its not very obvious...
Hot pressed or something...
Seems quite tough and strong...
But probably a copy of someone else's.....

They'll copy and steal anyone's intellectual property. No scruples at all.

And those would probably fall apart at the first outing - no guarantees, etc.

Fishing swivels...

And there is no guarantee the Apeks swivel won't fall apart at the first outing either.

The Swivel itself represents a failure point that can/should be eliminated (if one is concerned with failure points). Apeks didn't invent the swivel and I highly doubt they have any intellectual property right claims to it.

Your statement lacks scruples because you have provided no evidence to back up what you have stated.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom