How sick is "too" sick to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have to be on my death bed... unless you count right now. I just had a few questionable patches on my skin removed by the dermatologist and am not supposed to go diving until mid-week (sigh, I'll miss Memorial Day weekend).

Dr. Bill

If you ask yourself this question, you are too sick. I have had a reverse block before, not very nice.

I would sit the dive out too. Along with all the pressure dangers, feeling crappy topside probabaly feels REALLY crappy underwater. That and you are going to be in the water probably the whole session, which means that you're going to be cold and wet and sick, which NEVER feels good. By the looks of your post, it seems that things are not getting better. These are all signs that you're body needs to just chill out for a bit. You wouldn't do any other sport with a cold, would you? The same goes for scuba diving.

Just my two cents.

drbill:
Have to be on my death bed... unless you count right now. I just had a few questionable patches on my skin removed by the dermatologist and am not supposed to go diving until mid-week (sigh, I'll miss Memorial Day weekend).

Dr. Bill

You have to sit out a dive because of a skin biopsy? What's the reasoning behind that if I may ask?

Well, I just wanted to let all of you know how things turned out for me. Hope this will help anyone who happens to read this thread in the future.

Based on suggestions by many a'folk around here (not on this board), I took an antihistimine to get through my final pool session. In spite of the antihistimine, I found myself having a really, really hard time equalizing in the deep end (12'). Also, it took me about 7 to 8 tries to clear my completely flooded mask when usually it only takes about 2 to 3 tries before it's cleared. Somehow water made it's way into my mouth and down the wrong tube twice sending me into gagging fits - think it was related to my nose somehow. All around, the pool session was a pretty messy ordeal because of my clogged sinuses and the antihistimine not helping at all.

Over the next couple of days both of my ears shut-down on me. I couldn't hear very well out of either of them and could hear my voice 'echoing' inside my head if that makes any sense. My sinuses were totally full of gunk no matter what I tried (claritin, sudafed, swimmer's ear, etc.) which I don't think would have happened so violently if I had not done the last pool session.

Finally, I went to the doctor yesterday. I have a left ear infection with fluid trapped inside (mild barotrauma?). My right ear is headed toward an infection and my other sinuses are all infected, as well. I'm now on antibiotics and some sort of steroid nasal spray to help everything to heal.

End result? - the doctor has advised me NOT to go into the water for 4-6 weeks!!!! The look on my face must have been pretty tortured when he said that because he added that I may be able to get back in the water in as little as 2 weeks IF the meds heal me quicker than he expects them to. We'll see...........

Bottom line & lesson learned - DON'T BE OVERZEALOUS and NEVER THINK YOU'RE INFALLIBLE when it comes to clogged sinuses, the use of OTC meds, etc.. Always err on the side of caution!

I have been sooooooooooo duly humbled. Feel free to slap me around a little if you want to...I certainly deserve it. :banghead:

Sounds like you learned your lesson to me and don't need us slapping you around :wink:

Believe me when I say I can relate to how despertely anxious you are to get on with this adventure. Let me wish you a speedy recovery and I will take you experience to heart. I'm sure at more than one point I will be face with a similar situation.

Pete

latitude:
It's just as dangerous as going deeper... You have to remember that the greatest pressure gradient is in the first 15-20 ft of water. I've heard that an adult can burst an eardrum in as little as 8 ft of water (children less than that).

Also, even if you can clear, you'll be shoving crap up into your middle ear when you valsalva. What you have now sounds like it could clear up in a few days or a week at most. If you get a middle ear infection it could be a month or more! I'd play it conservative and sit it out for a week rather than wind up with an midele ear infection, or a ruptured eardrum. (but again, check with your doc and instructor...)

I agree. The only time I had a problem with clearing was in 15 ft at the pool. What is valsalva?

I too called a dive this week due to illness... but I figured if I was too sick to log onto Scubaboard, I really shouldn't be diving either :wink:

Sorry bout your delay, but as many have pointed out it's only a temporary setback... I was going batty waiting for 6 months before my cert course began, but Scubaboard really helped ease the "pain" - lol ... so hang around here and take a few more hefty doses of Scubaboard!

Hope you heal faster than anticipated,

Aloha, Tim

Sorry things turned out for the worse. I hope you have a VERY speedy recovery, and that you are back in the water as soon as possible (that is, as soon as you are healthy enough… but I am sure you know that :D).

~ Zack

Back
Top Bottom