How sick is "too" sick to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LuvDaOcean

Reaction score
I'm so bummed. I can't believe this is happening right now of all times. arghhhh. :(

I've got one pool session left tomorrow night (Thursday) and then this weekend our class is scheduled for our OW checkout dives. I'm stoked, excited, floating on air except for one thing: I've got a slight cold (or something) coming on. My sinuses aren't totally blocked (only slightly stuffy in one nostril), but I do have to keep popping my ears, I've got a bit of a neckache and mild headache.

I guess my question is, is if I stay like this and it doesn't get any worse could I still do tomorrow night's pool session and this weekend's dives?

How sick is TOO sick to dive?

Add onto that, that my instructor is going way out of her way - and it's not even her job - to get proper fitting wetsuits for me and my son today since our current rentals aren't even close to being adequate for 54^ water temp. We really need the suits, but if I end up getting sicker, or I'm already too sick to dive per your opinions, what a waste of her time and how badly I'll feel that she went to all that trouble for nothing. But I'm not psychic, so I don't know what's going to transpire over the next few days.

What would you do if you were me?

Thanks to all. I'd really appreciate as much advice on this one that I can get. I am really, really upset over this. Jus' figgers!!!!!!!

Hey it happens to us all. I've done over a dozen dive trips involving a minimum of 2 plane rides to get there, and I finally got too sick on a liveaboard last December. No problems with the rough crossing that made most seasick, but after being delayed by weather for 2 days, then finally making a few dives, I spent 5 days doing nothing by laying around the boat getting well enough to go home.

You just get better and go again.... :D

LuvDaOcean:
My sinuses aren't totally blocked (only slightly stuffy in one nostril), but I do have to keep popping my ears, I've got a bit of a neckache and mild headache.

What would you do if you were me?

I would call your instructor now, and tell her what you have told us. She will help you decide.

I know it's hard, but try to look at the bigger picture. You will be diving for the rest of your life. A small set back like this will not make a difference 10 years for now.

God Bless and Welcome to Scuba and ScubaBoard!

The call your instructor is the best advice. I can tell you what usually happens when you dive cold water with a slight cold. You get a very bad cold. Yes, I am speaking from experience and I knew better.

I will never dive again when I have a "slight cold". I did once several years ago and had to do a valsalva maneuver to equalize my ears. The result was a severe ear infection that took several weeks to heal. Never again, it's just not worth it.

I second the idea to call your instructor.

I also tend to lean toward being extra conservative during training. You don't need extra trouble during your checkout dives.

If your passages are clear and you can equalize your ears OK then diving shouldn't be a problem but it takes a little experience to tell more. Your instructor can help you decide.

"Gee, I'm not sure if I should dive because __________."

Whatever the fill-in-the-blank is, I recommend you don't dive. That little voice in your head is there for a reason. I would listen to it.

If I have a cold, a sudifed will usually get my snot-tubes clear enough to equalize. It's that run-down, exhausted feeling that is reason enough not to dive.

There are always more dives.

If you have to think about asking, it's time to call the dive. It's just not worth it. Accidents are usually a series of poor decisions that lead up to something, and being sick makes you physically and mentally sub-optimal. If conditions are sub-optimal and you're second guessing the dive, it's time to thumb it before you ever get in the water.

Thanks everybody for responding to this post so quickly. I SO appreciate it!

Rick Inman:
If I have a cold, a sudifed will usually get my snot-tubes clear enough to equalize. It's that run-down, exhausted feeling that is reason enough not to dive.

There are always more dives.
I've read a lot of threads here on SB about whether or not to take cold meds. Seems that here on SB opinions are sort of divided on the topic. Of course, in class we've been told "DO NOT take cold meds!", but in the "real" world what do people really do? I'm not going to lie and say that taking cold meds hasn't crossed my mind, but I still see those words written in the text and spoken to us in class: "DO NOT take cold meds!" :06: ?????? :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom