How should fins fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im going to have to disagree with the fit, there are to small for your foot. Looks like you need one size larger. Unfortunately Tusa does not make a XXL in that model...
You may need to switch to another brand... Scubapro, atomic and mares make xxl. Typically L is up to a 10 and XL is up to a 12.

Thanks Brendon. I agree with you.

Advice that the heel should stick out 2 fingers seems odd to me. What's the point of adjustable straps? How far your foot sticks out is going to depend on your booties among other things. The fin needs needs to fit your foot/booty otherwise and be comfortable and not giving you blisters, the strap takes care of the length part, within reason.

NP, first clue was the length of the strap after you had them on in the pick. Normally when the shoe fits the 2 ends can or almost touch. Your heel should be further forward and the fin should encompass more of your foot. But you already know that. You put it on, didnt feel right so you posted about it to check your math per say...
You should be able to get rid of them pretty easy down here in FL. Stop by a dive shop and find/size the ones you want before you bargain shop:)

I think they're too small. I go back and forth between 12's and 13's, depending on brand, and I have to go with XXL when wearing booties. Because pictures are everything in the internet world, here's a pic of mine for you to compare.

Fin Heel s.jpg

I never knew about the '2 fingers' rule, but that seems to be the case with my setup:
(Edit): I should note that I have the straps on these at the smaller setting.

Fin Heel Fingers s.jpg

Overall, I'd say you want your foot further in the fin so you get more 'leverage' out of them. The more your foot is in the fin, the more efficient your kicks will be. It looks like your toes and ball of your foot will be doing most of the work, whereas in mine, just about my entire foot will be transfering the energy. I don't know where you got your fins from, but most online retailers will exchange them for you. I'd inquire about that before trying to sell them as used (if you decide to get rid of them).

I have US13 feet too. My feet look similar in my big cold water booties. As long as they are comfy, it is fine. Just one piece of sage advice: Get spring straps!

Last edited:
@Brendon: I'm returning them to LeisurePro and already ordered another set which are supposed to have a bigger pocket (Aeris Velocity X3 fins). Keeping my fingers crossed. BTW, where abouts in South Florida are you? I live in Parkland, just south of Boca.

@PansSiren: You are the boss! Thank you for taking the time to take those pics. It kind of reinforced what I thought; the fins are a bit too small. They're going back in exchange for another pair and if those don't work out, then I'll just go into a local shop. Love those ankle booties w/ the zipper and tie. Which ones are those?

No problem man, glad to help out! The booties are "seasoft sunrays". That's just a little piece of velcro that straps over the zipper. The fins are Hollis F1's.

No problem man, glad to help out! The booties are "seasoft sunrays". That's just a little piece of velcro that straps over the zipper. The fins are Hollis F1's.

Yeah I noticed the Hollis fins immediately by the spring straps. How do you like them? What type of diving do you do? I've read they're more for technical dives as opposed to recreational divers.

Back
Top Bottom