How should fins fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

way too much heel showing, the reason your heel needs to be supported is so that your foot isn't torqued as this will cause your instep and hamstrings to cramp, get bigger fins.

If I were you I'd return them and try fins in a store. It's like fitting shoes, you need to try smaller and larger and find the best fit. You'll find if the fin is too big it will fit sloppy and have lateral play. If it's too small the foot sticks out too much and you'll be finning with your toes.

Adam

Yeah I noticed the Hollis fins immediately by the spring straps. How do you like them? What type of diving do you do? I've read they're more for technical dives as opposed to recreational divers.

Hehe, well I must admit, these are brand new for me. I've only had them for 5-6 days now, but I've been swimming in the pool with them over the last 3 days (god I can't wait to go to Cozumel in 2 more weeks!!!). So far, I'm absolutely loving them! In comparison to my old fins (UDT 'duckfeet'), the F1s are a lot stiffer, and the UDTs are pretty stiff too. I can feel the UDT flex and propel me forward a little bit, whereas the F1s are like moving a big paddle behind me. They take a bit more effort to move, but that effort goes a long way - I don't have to fin nearly as much to keep moving, you glide pretty far with them - especially with a frog kick (and those take less effort than the traditional flutter kick). They're also more 'accurate'... when I want to turn, I turn where I want to go on the dime, I get more precise movements over my duckfeet. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the F1s so far, and very glad I finally dropped the coin on them!

I'm only a recreational vacation diver... for now. My goals are to go 'tech' (cave and really deep), so all the gear I've been aquiring is more 'tech' like so I can get used to it and don't have to buy it all over again. Even if I didn't have plans for tech diving, the gear makes more sense to me, so I'd still probably end up with the same stuff. It's funny because I grew up about 30 min from the beach and didn't get into diving until I moved to Colorado for college - now I can't wait to graduate so I can move back to the coast (I got my eye on Florida!). ... Anyway, I think you can use tech gear for any recreational dive, but not the other way around. As for the fins, they'd be good for just about anything. They move you through the water at a good clip, so that's nice for rec, and they have enough power to push a doubles kit w/ stage bottles through the water too - something not all fins will do (efficiently). They'd also be good for photographers since you can turn and backup easily to get ino the perfect position for that perfect shot. There's many uses for them, but of course, different people will have different tastes and thoughts on comfort and practicality. Admittedly, I knew these would be a good fin, but I really chose these over the ScubaPro jets and the like pretty much only because I thought the molded design of these just looked badass, hahaha. They look even better in person! lol!

If I were you I'd return them and try fins in a store. It's like fitting shoes, you need to try smaller and larger and find the best fit. You'll find if the fin is too big it will fit sloppy and have lateral play. If it's too small the foot sticks out too much and you'll be finning with your toes.

Adam

Thanks Adam. I'm going to wait to see if the Aeris I ordered fit and if not, they're going back and I'm walking into a store.

way too much heel showing, the reason your heel needs to be supported is so that your foot isn't torqued as this will cause your instep and hamstrings to cramp, get bigger fins.

Thanks. Seems to be the consensus. I just ordered new fins with supposedly a bigger foot pocket. Keeping fingers crossed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom