How R U on basic hand signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's all go to DAN at Alert Diver Online

Let your opinion of the Loser hand signal be known!

DON'T forget to applaud the basic test, though! It's kind of cool! :cool3:

The article in Alert Diver magazine mentioned the problem of hand signal dialects. For example, a clenched fist to a commercial or military diver means stop or hold — following the conventions for directing crane operators. Apparently some cave divers use it for OK while DAN thinks holding a fist to the chest means “Low on Air”. I see it all the time combined with slapping the bicep with the other hand that indicates something entirely different. :wink:

In the real world, two handed signals are useless. Holding tools, cameras, or downlines in a current make them impractical. Alert Diver’s warning to make sure you are all on the same page is the best part of the article.

Reactions: Jax
The article in Alert Diver magazine mentioned the problem of hand signal dialects. For example, a clenched fist to a commercial or military diver means stop or hold — following the conventions for directing crane operators. Apparently some cave divers use it for OK while DAN thinks holding a fist to the chest means “Low on Air”.

Does anyone know where the cave divers use "hold" clenched fist as an "okay"?

As for the fist on the chest - NAUI and PADI say it's low on air.

"Low Blood Sugar?"

Here's the expected Hand Signal response to getting the "Low Blood Sugar" signal from your buddy:

middlefinger_baby.jpg

both my daughter and I scored 14/15, thought the "L" sign was a silly trick question.

How do you test your blood sugar underwater?

Does anyone know where the cave divers use "hold" clenched fist as an "okay"?

I have never seen "OK" with a clenched fist while cave diving. It usually means "stop/ halt" or "danger". In cave "OK" is most often done by making a circular pattern with your light beam around someone's light beam, or an "OK" with the fingers in normal fashion, in front of the light (just don't blind your team member, it pisses them off:D).

I have also never seen the "Low blood sugar" signal & missed that one.

Reactions: Jax
Well not that I have many dives under my belt I did get the 14/15 as well. The "loser" hand signal was new to me and by reading these posts even our more seasoned divers agree. I'm still calling a "loser" a "loser" with the "L" on the forhead (between friends).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom