How R U on basic hand signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool, and funny. why only 15 signs ?
add all the others too ?
put it into groups, like the 15-20 signs in the
basic group where you must score 100%
advanced
and expert
so we can see how, basic or advanced or expert we are on the handsignals :)
anything that makes learning fun, is a good thing.

I thought that was 'how much deco?' or 'scorpionfish' :confused:

I've always been taught that the following sign was 'deco'...

deco-signal.jpg

You'd combine to the two signals, if asking a question ("how much" - "deco").

I've seen the 'how much' sign used by divers to designate 'Scorpionfish'... but not by tech trained divers :wink:

Great PDF article on Technical Diving Hand Signals

Reactions: =C=
I've always been taught that the following sign was 'deco'...

View attachment 101824

You'd combine to the two signals, if asking a question ("how much" - "deco").

The 'gas switch' is little different to how I do it.
Mine is slide hand forward and back palm down, then the same palm up for switch. Although I get the feeling I'll be lambasted for this.

I've seen the 'how much' sign used by divers to designate 'Scorpionfish'... but not by tech trained divers :wink:

You should see my old sign for Turtle!

Oh dear hanging on a line while vertical... I fear this thread may descend into madness soon :cool2:

Tech signals are still very agency/instructor/group specific I think... with a few items of consensus. I think that the 'standard treatise' on this is probably 'Cave Diving Communications' by Joe Prosser and HV Grey, 1990 (NACD)

PDF Link: http://www.swiss-cave-diving.ch/PDF-dateien/cavediving-signals.pdf

The WRSTC has standardized a bunch of recreational hand signals. Their common list was published in Nov 2005. That probably represents that largest consensus on hand signals:

WRSTC Common Hand Signals

To: Jax
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:37 AM
Subject: RE: alertdiver.com Hand Signals

Dear Jax,

By all means – please feel free to share this information with others on ScubaBoard and CaveDiver.net. Thumbing the dive is certainly appropriate (as any signs or symptoms of hypoglycemia warrant prompt termination of a dive), but the “L” sign does convey additional information to the diabetic diver’s buddy. It might alert the buddy of the need to assist in oral glucose administration during the dive or of the possible need for other interventions upon reaching the surface, especially if the diabetic diver has decreased awareness or responsiveness at that time. Certainly, this is not a signal that the general diving population will have a great need for, but it has the potential to be extremely important within a particular subset. Buddies of diabetic divers would learn specific techniques for assistance and communication during their buddy’s or their own training, but increased awareness of such techniques among all divers is never a bad thing.

Thanks again for contacting DAN.

Best regards,

Brian

Brian Harper
Editorial Director, Alert Diver Magazine
Divers Alert Network
+1-919-684-2948 ext. 271
bharper@dan.org

Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:29 PM
To: Harper, Brian
Subject: Re: alertdiver.com Hand Signals

Well, I appreciate your answer, but I can tell you that NO ONE on two scuba forums has ever seen or heard of it. Mostly, no one agrees, either. Basically, if it is enough to report to your partner (versus just sticking a candy bar in your mouth), it is important enough to thumb the dive.

Unless you have an aversion, I will post this on our scuba forums.

[Jax]

To: Jax
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:21 PM
Subject: RE: alertdiver.com Hand Signals

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your inquiry. Indeed, the “L” signal seemed to be a new one for many divers who took that quiz. According to the proceedings of the 2005 Diabetes and Recreational Diving Workshop, jointly sponsored by the UHMS and DAN, “Use of an “L” signal with the thumb and index finger of either hand is recommended as a signal for suspected hypoglycemia.” (Perhaps it was a bit cheeky of us to place the symbol on the forehead for the purposes of the quiz.) If you’d like more information on diving with diabetes, read the Medical FAQ, or DAN Members can take the online seminar, “Diabetes and Recreational Diving.” Please feel free to share this information with others on ScubaBoard and CaveDiver.net. Thanks again for contacting DAN.

Best regards,

Brian Harper
Editorial Director, Alert Diver Magazine
Divers Alert Network
+1-919-684-2948 ext. 271
bharper@dan.org

Reference:

Pollock, NW, Uguccioni DM, Dear GdeL, eds. Diabetes and recreational diving: guidelines for the future. Proceedings of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society/Divers Alert Network 2005 June 19 Workshop. Durham, NC: Divers Alert Network; 2005.

There are a lot of very creative folks on ScubaBoard. If any of you are up for a little fun with this, how about an unofficial photo contest of divers giving the hypoglycemia (or within the proper context -- Loser) signal? Underwater, surface intervals, desirable dive locales, whatever strikes your creative fancy.

There are a lot of very creative folks on ScubaBoard. If any of you are up for a little fun with this, how about an unofficial photo contest of divers giving the hypoglycemia (or within the proper context -- Loser) signal? Underwater, surface intervals, desirable dive locales, whatever strikes your creative fancy.

:shocked:

Wait -- don't you want to put some boundary conditions on that?!?!?!? :sprint:

Yes it does!

I, and many others I dive with, use this signal. It's normally the response to a question, not the precursor.

If I wanted to know about a divers ears I would point to them, then ears then give an OK ?.

OK is question and answer.
This is exactly why it is so critical to go over hand signals with a new buddy. If you pointed to your ear and signaled OK, my first thought would be that you were telling me that your ears are fine, just like if you pointed to your ear and rocked your hand palm down I'd read it as, "ear problems."

Here's a story I wrote some years ago about hand signal miscommunication.

A friend of mine here at work just told me about a boat he was diving on. They had a guy spearfishing and the guide was warning the other divers about the possibility of increased shark presence due to that. He showed them the standard shark signal (make a fin with your hand on your head). Then he said if you see this next one, be careful. It was three part: holding the hands apart pretty far, followed by flipping the bird and finished with the shark sign. He said it meant big f&*^ing shark! I thought it was funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom