How Old is To Old For Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am comfortable diving regs from the 1960s bcd from the 80's. Older than that or badly stored I'd recommend extra care.

Be forewarned a common experience when bringing in older gear for service at some dives shops is the attitude towards used gear is greatly varied. One shop may inspect and find nothing needed replaced. Another recommend a few hundred bucks maintenance and a third recommend trashing the old gear and purchasing brand new.

Regards,
Cameron

Should be fine after it's had a fresh service.

It's not the regulator I normally use, but I've got an ancient scubapro Mk7 honker that I've dived after a recent service. The regulator is older than I am (made in 1971). It works just fine.

s-l1600.jpg
equator.jpg

Plastic can deteriorate with time especially if exposed to heat. Had that happen with a pair of Aeres regulators after 15 years. Front faceplate started to fail.

I have not been able to find any information on the early Equators, it looks more like the Knight-Hawk to me.
I have the same thing with the plastic faceplate on an older Oceanic Alpha7 I have, I was going to get a new face plate on before it's next service.

Have the equipment checked out by a reputable dive shop. It should be fine. Regulators are designed to work for decades with proper care (I regularly dive with regulators made in the 1950s and 1960s). BCDs can last for a very long time too (I still dive a SeaTec that I purchased 40 years ago).

I was looking on Oceanic's web site and see they have a service center, Regulator service is $45 for first stage & $30 for second plus parts, as I have no local shops within 60 miles of me this may be a better option, Has anyone used the manufacture for their services before and what were the results?

I was looking on Oceanic's web site and see they have a service center, Regulator service is $45 for first stage & $30 for second plus parts, as I have no local shops within 60 miles of me this may be a better option, Has anyone used the manufacture for their services before and what were the results?
I have not used them. And, i certainly wouldn't suggest there is any performance reason not to do that.

On thought - there are some dive shops in CA that are regional service centers, for a number of manufacturers and for individuals who don't have reasonable access to a LDS. One option to think about may be Malibu Dive Center (Malibu Dive Repair). You might touch base with Glynn Palmer to see if his shop can be of assistance. Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom