How Old is To Old For Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RH53

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question regarding older equipment, next year my grandson will be taking a SCUBA certification course through his high school. I have the opportunity to get equipment from an old dive buddy that had to give up the sport due to health conditions about 12 years ago. The equipment I am concerned with is an Oceanic Delta2 Regulator that was never taken out of the box, and a ScubaPro Equator BCD that was used on 4 dives when he recertified, cleaned and stored in his closet in 2004. I will take all the equipment in for service, but don't want to throw money away if this equipment is getting to old to be safe.

Thanks for any input
RH

Shouldn't be an issue.
If the BCD holds air, and the inflator doesn't leak, it's fine. If the inflator has a leak, that's a quick DIY fix for cheap.

The regs should be fine, but you should buy an IP gauge and get them set up. I would hold off on buying new hoses until he settles on a hose configuration, hopefully a primary donate setup.

I have gear that is much much older than that, regulators going back to the 60's, wings going back to the late 90's, all still working just fine

Thanks for the quick reply, I to have some older equipment, I probably overthink things when it's for my grandson, I have never owned a wing style BCD would it be a good idea to have the wing retention bungee cord replaced?

Thanks for the quick reply, I to have some older equipment, I probably overthink things when it's for my grandson, I have never owned a wing style BCD would it be a good idea to have the wing retention bungee cord replaced?

Not sure that I understand you, what BC? The Equator isn't a wing BC.

most wings don't have retention bungees. If it has them, most of them end up getting removed.

I would personally replace the bungee. You will find that there are varying opinions on this but the bungee does help the wing vent better.

Get it checked out first, of course. The BCD has to fit him or it's no good to him. The regulator will be ok but after sitting in a box for 12 years it should have the internal o-rings replaced.

The early models of the Equator were wings I do not know why or when they changed, if anyone knows i'd like to hear why

The early models of the Equator were wings I do not know why or when they changed, if anyone knows i'd like to hear why

Do you have pictures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom