How much time did it take for your DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16 months and still going. Helped out with three OW classes so far at one night a week for 6 weeks in a row. 6 2-hour pool sessions and one weekend per OW class. I might/should get it done this summer, but it might not be until spring depending on how many classes the instructor offers this year.

I did mine with Scott. About 4 months. We actually had a CD teach it for us.

Hey, Scott; how's it going?

About 16 months, but that was because I did it while still working my full time job. Also in the middle of course came winter, and diving in Myrtle Beach in the winter ain't such a popular thing.

16 months here also. From Nov 2006 to March 2008. I helped out on weekends when their were courses. The classwork and skills were quick and easy. The vast majority of the time was just spent in classes and poolwork with students. My Instructor didn't want me to just get the minimum done. He spaced out my swim tests and skills tests so that in between I would have months of time helping students. It was a pain at the time. Now it seems worth it and I understand why I was 'vetted.'

Mine took about four months. I have a lot more flexibility in the summer and and did four OW classes in the pool and three weekends at Dutch Springs assisting with OW and AOL classes. If I hadn't finshed in that time I would have had to wait until the next summer since the shop I did it at doesn't have opportunities for the internship in the winter.

Steve

I did mine in about three months, but that required luck in two areas. First, I was in a class with people who were smart and motivated, so everyone was very prepared for all the academics. We got into a pattern of very short lectures followed by exams which we all passed easily. During one class session we knocked out three exams.

The other area of luck was that I was available to do my internship precisely when classes were being held in pool and OW. I bunched up a lot of intern credits on Channel Island trips with AOW and OW classes, in addition to OW classes in Monterey. It's practically all I did over the three months.

At this point I'm still mentally doing internship since I feel i have so much still to learn, but I also feel confidence that I can provide whatever the instructor or the students need, whether it's to go and find more lead, dig out a 9/16 wrench and tighten a connector hose, help with tables, or whatever.

Mine was nearly a year. During that time I assisted in the certification of nearly 40 divers from jr ow to rescue. Helped with about 75 discover scubas including one for a college that totaled 45 students. All total logged about 120 hours in the pool alone. Some weeks were 2-3 nights at 3 hours a clip.I just completed my YMCA DM/AI crossover. That started in October. This weekend I do my YMCA Instructor Institute.

Not counting the academics, stamina test, or written tests. How much time did your DM take?
Um... wait a minute, *counting* those, 3.5 months from "first actual class meeting" to yesterday. :wink:
So far I've put in[...]
Ah, I think I understand what you're asking. You want to know cumulative hours of work, specifically excluding all DM-class-specific classroom, pool, and test sessions, right?

Let's see. Only counting items from the first actual class meeting through yesterday, I worked three NAUI Scuba Diver classes, each with about 12 dry hours and two half days wet (call it 8 hours, I guess). Add in some work with an Advanced class (3 dry hours and 3 wet hours for me). Add in the special springs checkout we did for a couple divers (about 9 real hours over two days) and this weekend's checkout (about 17 real hours over three days). That adds up to... let's see... 92 contact hours.

If you want to add in lesson prep time and class prep time, those would easily put it over the century mark. I didn't track lesson prep time, but a few evenings certainly went into that. Class prep time wasn't sparse, either, as I'm not the type to settle for "adequate". Sorting and doing inventory on the class/rental gear, creating better forms for the sizing/assignment process, optimizing other practical aspects of having classes, and so on all have taken nice chunks of time, but those are the value-added bits that make you a DM that instructors love to work with.

Of course, if I count all the practical stuff from last year, I would have *considerably* more to list. Although you don't count toward ratios and you can't take responsibility for anyone, you can do all the top-side work and act as a buddy or an extra pair of eyes for the instructor underwater. Last year's practical experience is every bit as valuable to me as the DM academic work or assisting-with-classes work I added once the actual "class" started.

Great information you guys. I guess when I see DM class offered in 6 or 7 days, it certainly can not equal what most folks here put in.

On the matter of comparing Naui vs PADI, NAUI is much more a combined PADI DM and PADI assistant instructor program. So PADI DM intern really does not have to prepare for any lessons. As I understand it, NAUI DM encompasses the AI program, right?

The way I see it, if it is freezing cold in MI, what better place to spend an afternoon, than in a warm pool scuba diving. I am not looking forward to this Saturday's OW class though, if it is raining and cold.

Back
Top Bottom