How much time did it take for your DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not counting the academics, stamina test, or written tests. How much time did your DM take?

So far I've put in 6 pool sessions about 4 hours each (or 3 OW classes), plus one OW session (2 dives) that took over 4 hours. I am finding that there is more to teaching than just completing the minimum... and that the more time you spend with students the more issue, and situations would you see. Of course this doesn't count the dives I've made for my mapping project, which is still not good enough for the instructor's criteria.

Mine took 18 months...as an intern, working only at weekends...and I strung it out to get the most diving possible for the money.

Where I work now, the average full-time intern takes around 2-3 months - but they do far more diving and assists than the minimum required for the course.

I reckon that, at a stretch, an internship could be rushed through in 3 weeks - but you wouldn't get much out of it.

I've seen schools offering DM course in 6 or 7 days. I'll bet that is simply the minimum, and actually might be where DM/OWSI students are subbing as students to complete the dives. I see alot of the internship is a win/win situation. The instructor has extra hands to keep students safe, and the intern get a chance to deal with complex situations without the liability of a professional.

Depends if internship or not. Non can be 3-4 weeks.

Internship can be anything from 6 weeks to 6 months if its a resort where they generally use DMTs as season-long slave labour as well.

Mine was 6.5 months of 7 days a week 12-14 hours a day for example which isnt untypical in the med.

The instructor has extra hands to keep students safe, and the intern get a chance to deal with complex situations without the liability of a professional.

Although most resorts ive seen use DMTs as DMs like this its not actually allowed. You cant use a trainee to do a DMs job or to use those ratios and you cant let them do anything unsupervised.
Its done but it shouldnt be.

Mine took about 6 months doing the internship. You are right about seeing new problems every time with real students.

Mine took about 4 months , but got in alot of good experiences and the owner of the lds took alot of time to teach us about the store or business side of diving also.

Assuming I pass all of my skills tomorrow night it'll be one semester long. Other than that the class was two nights a week (one pool, one class) for 2-3 hours each class. Additionally, at a minimum I had to shadow at least 4 sessions of the BOW classes as well as assist with 4 weekend trips. There were quite a few opportunities for assisting with the Advanced and Basic classes as well.

Back
Top Bottom