How much should I spend on new Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude223:
I will probably go on thursday and buy equipment. I hope that I can get some decent equipment for under 1500 or under 2000

Before you go out and buy any gear, do your homework. Some reg setups are just not good for our Canadian cold water environments. A really good (read safe from free flows caused by ice ups) set of regs, octos, and console can run you 1000.00 to 1500.00 CDN. (depending on the little extra goodies you add.

Study up on what gear is appropriae for your dive environnment. The one advantage we up here in the land of the moose have, is any gear you get that can handle the cold (regs in particular) will exceed what you will need on those down south vacation dives.

Check in the Canada sub forum. A good resource for information is TomR. He runs a tech diving shop in Kingston ON and know his stuff. He honest and will give you the straight up on what gear you might want to cosider for cold water diving.

One last point (and one I just recently learned the hardway) take your time. If you can't get all the appropriate gear in one shot, focus on what you can afford. Rent what you need to fill in for your dives until you get funds, then complete your set up.

It is depending on what brand equipment you want to get

If you plan to get the top notch brand from the dealer

Reg & Octo: $650
BCD: $600
Wetsuit: $400
Boot, glove, and hood: $150
Fin, Mask, and weight :$220
Gauge or Computer: $600
AL tank: $130
Other accessory: $400 (such as a bag, light, defog, socks, etc.....)

About at least $3,100

I went to a local dive shop and the guy there said he can get me a full package for 2000. Should I ask him for the names of all the equipment, for comparisons sake

Absolutely.

Have him itemize every piece of gear in the package. Just like you would options on a car.

scubadude223:
I went to a local dive shop and the guy there said he can get me a full package for 2000. Should I ask him for the names of all the equipment, for comparisons sake

Are you kidding? Of course, you have to narrow down the equipment list one by one. It is your investment. Personally, I never get the full package deal without researching the items. Otherwise, you will buy another stuff eventually. It will be the additional costs (time and money). Get some study and ask here. :D

Il do that and then post it here, thanks for the advice

Here is what is included in my package, as stated by the seller.

1. Mares MR12 Proton
2. Axis Octupus
3. 3 guage mini console
4. Dacon Weight intigrated BCD
5. 7/6 mm Wetsuit

$2000 Canadian That is $1725 American

the only advice I'll give is don't go cheap..... Spend the necessary money to get the equipment that you feel comfortable with and that you can rely on. Whatever it cost it what is cost....:wink:

I think $2000 is a good price to pepear for. BUT for whought you put on that list. That is to much. You need to shop around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom