How much should I spend on new Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude223:
I want to buy a set of full dive gear. How much would I have to spend for decent equipment.

This is like asking what you need to spend to get a good car. Too vague.

Give us an idea of what kind of diving you plan to do. How often you plan to dive realistically. There can be a great deal of investment cost gap between warm and cold water.

I agree that you can find a wealth of information on here about products to give you an idea where to start. Rent the gear you trained with until you know the answers to these questions. Buy your mask/fins/wetsuit and start there.

Agree with all above, I spent almost a month talking to all the dive shops in Vancouver (well most of them) trying to get an idea re what to buy. Got many different answers, I did find most to be well informed and willing to work with me on outfitting me within a budget. However, it took at least a month of research and a few checkout dives to figure out what I needed and wanted, and I have a few more dives in many different conditions than you so I did know what I wanted. Would be cautious or you will just end up spending the money again.

On the other hand pretty much any system you get from the dive shops around here will work to learn on and you will save rental $.

Good setup with drysuit for the kind of diving we do here in Vancouver $3,500 Canadian if it's new. Ballpark.

If you are willing to go with used equipment, or dive in a wetsuit then that becomes an entirely different discussion. Repetitive winter dives in a wetsuit in Vancouver are not advisable unless you enjoy being cold out of the water.

When my family and I started diving, we did a bunch of research. We used "Scuba Diving" magazine (I've heard that their recommendations have more to do with advertizing than one would like but it worked out okay for us) and other sources and picked up most of our gear at Sport Chalet during their annual scuba sale. We got out for a little over $1000 per person, we've been diving for 6 years (about 150 dives per person, mostly tropical) and are pretty happy with our gear.

FWIW, I purchased (many of these aren't made anymore):
Hawaii II mask, snorkle (don't remember the brand), Blade fins
Pro QD BC
Mares MR-12 1st stage
Mares Akros 2nd stage
Mares Axis Octo
console
Suunto Viper computer

As I remember, at the time, the cost was something like Mask/Fins/Snorkel: $100, BC: $350, Regs: $300, Computer: $350. There's going to be more for a wetsuit and any incidentals that you may want. We rent our tanks and weights.

scubadude223:
I want to buy a set of full dive gear. How much would I have to spend for decent equipment.
It depends entirely on what you consider decent, and on what kind of diving you plan to do. Will you be diving in warm or cold water, wet or dry? On vacation only, or at home regularly? Do you want simple, sturdy, and functional, or is fashion important to you? Are you willing to rent tanks, or do you want to buy your own and take them in for fills? Do you feel you need a computer, or will you be happy with a watch and tables? Do you want split fins or paddle fins? Do you plan to persue technical training? Do you want to see fish, take their pictures, eat them, or ignore them so you can concentrate on looking for buried treasure? Beach dives, or boat? Shallow or deep?

If you really want a "full set" of dive gear, you're looking at many thousands of dollars. If you'd be content with the minimal kit that will let you dive in a specific location, you can probably do it for much less.

I recommend concentrating less on "how much to spend", and more on "what specific items do I want?"

Somewhere between $1500 to $2000 it what I've spent thus far.

Zeagle gear - a bit pricier than other options, but worth it IMO.
Dive computer - you can skip this, not everyone uses one (hopefully they use the tables / wheel instead).
Fins, mask, wetsuit, sausage, whistle, bag - about $200-$250 is what I spent on these.

Hint: don't just buy what your LDS has in stock. Spend some time researching.

Around $1,500 sounds about right, just buy stuff that you are most comfortable with. There seems to be a lot of opinions about who is best.... I've tried out a ton of different bc's, regs, etc, and it's just a personal purchase. So just try on some stuff and if you don't like it, don't be afraid to move on to a different dive shop that may offer other brands. Have fun

scubadude223:

Just go talk to a couple reputable dealers to get an idea.

I bought an Aqualung package for $1000 even (minus the exposure suit), which I have been VERY happy with. It included BCD, reg, octo, weights, guages, compass, etc.

But exposure suits can be expensive. I picked up mine used for $150 (hood, gloves, boots, and suit), but that was a steal. Then I had an old pair of fins and mask from a while ago. And later a tank for $250.

You're probably looking at $1500-$2000 for a COMPLETE set of gear. It sucks, but the good part is: DIVING IS CHEAP AFTERWARDS. Sure, you have yearly maintenance, but other than that, besides the gas to get to the dive sites, it's pretty cheap.

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom