How much BC lift do I require?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d once bubbled...
Will the Halcyon 27# wing provide enuff lift at the surface diving a 120 steel tank and a 7mm wet suit?:confused:
SS backplate?
Aluminum backplate?
STA?
Weighted STA?
P-weight?
HP120 or LP120?

Short answer is yes... unless....

27 pounds of lift is probably enough at the surface, but that's not the only place to be concerned about adequate lift. At depth, as a 7mm farmer john compresses, a diver is going to become substantially more negative. How much lift do you need at 130 feet with a full 120?

Steelies, especially the big boys, are not usually a good idea with a wetsuit. Have you considered a larger AL tank?

Steven

The absolute minimum wing size must exceed the bouyancy change of the tank plus exposure suit plus any other gear which has a bouyancy change. The material that the tank is made out of is not important unless it is so heavy that it causes the diver to be negatively bouyant with no (or not enough) dumpable weight. This could happen if diving a SS backplate in fresh water

A 120 cf tank holds about 9# of air when full. The minimum bouyancy of a 7 mil wetsuit (one piece) is 12# and that is for a small person. Think more like 15# for an average size man. Those add up to 24#. If the 27# Halcyon wing actually has 27# of lift, then there might be 3# of reserve to keep you from sinking to the bottom, which in some nice locations is 6000'.

However, most wings do not reach their rated capacity of bouyancy. A 27# wing is just not like a 27# bag of flour. So, you might not have any reserve and you might even be negatively bouyant at depth after adding enough weight to get down with a hood, gloves and booties.

The answer is spend the extra $50 on the 36# pioneer or learn how to breathe light and dive with an 80.

Price isn't the issue. Just not sure about this whole BP setup and for now I'm primarily gonna be diving a 120st and was looking for some suggestions as to which wing would best and safely do the job. THANX all....:D

then you're at risk.

If you have redundant lift (e.g. drysuit, etc) then there's an argument to be made that you have covered the failure mode of the BC failing (hose blowout, ripped side panel, punctured bladder, etc)

This is one of those things that IMHO you should just be able to do - swim up your kit from the bottom, at its most negative, with no help from the BC at all.

Dave Sweetin from Halcyon recommended their 36lb Pioneer wing for a 7mil farmer john with hood, single steel tank - at least for my wife and I.

I am going back and wing. The only problem is that I don't know how much lift i need. Around home I will be doing mostly cool-cold freshwater dives int eh quarries. Typically I will be in a 7mm wetsuit with i beleive in the neighborhood of 27lbs of weight but I don't have my log book so that is just from memory. I have been looking at the Halcyon 27lb Pioneer but I don't think that is enough for cold water diving. I hae also been looking at a 40lb setup from Deep Outdoors. Anyone have a recomendation on wing size?

Try searching for it and see if that answers your question

Hallmac

Back
Top Bottom