How much BC lift do I require?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aegir

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new BCD. I have tried the scubapro superhawk NT and it seems perfect. However I have a 32" waist which in the scubapro sizing chart comes under small (S). Because I am now probably going to get into tech diving I wondered how much lift I would need say using twin steelies and I weigh around 11-12 stones. The problem is that the small size in this BC is 29-37 inches which fits no problem... HOWEVER the small size only has 23lb's of lift. The medium size 32-43" has 46lbs of lift. Does anyone know why this is. Really I suppose what I am asking is how much lift will I need to carry 3 or 4 cylinders.... how far will 23lbs of lift get me? Thanks for listening. :)

BTW Please dont try to talk me into buying any other BC.. I have tried most including Diverites transpac wings etc.

Scubapro makes a fine BC. But...
In my opinion, if you are seriously considering using steel doubles and becoming a competent tech diver, get yourself a harness & backplate, a Transpac II or a Halcyon (I dive the Transpac II). Then you can get the wings that fit the rig, and you can also graduate to sidemounts &c.. as well as stick to the Hogarthian or DIR rig. You won't be "teching" it long before you'll need in excess of 50 pounds lift to be safe.
If you don't want to be talked into any other BC, I cannot in good conscience recommend that you even consider technical diving.
Rick

If you have any inclinations of going into technical diving then you will be getting another "BC". If you are thinking about doubles then the harness/backplate combination it the only way to go otherwise the tanks will be shifting all over your body. A conventional BC just doesn't fit snug enough to accommodate the doubles.

ID

Don is right. Backplate/Wings is the only way to go for "tech" diving. If you still want to dive a single, you can get a Single Tank Adapter or I just saw the new Halcyon wing that has the cam bands built into the wing.

For lift, 55 or 65 lb. wings will be fine for double steels and a stage.

Eric

Sorry to be the Bearer of bad news Aegir, but everyone before me is absolutely right on this one. B.C.'s just aren't multipurpose like you expect them to be. A good comfortable recreational diving B.C. just doesn't work too well for Technical diving. On the flipside of that, a hardcore technical diving B.C. is usually overkill for recreational purposes.

The bottom line is that technical diving requires many times the amount of gear investment that recreational diving does. You are going to have to deal with the added costs if you are serious about tech. Every Rose has it's thorn's my friend. Tech diving has more than it's share.

I tend to disagree with the idea that a backplate and harness are overkill for recreational diving. If there is such a thing as a universal BC it would be the plate/harness.

By loosening 2 bolts in the back you can change the wings from tech (55lb) to the reef wings (17lb) and any combination in between. What other "BC" can do this. And the price of the wings won't set you back near as much as a 2nd BC would.

Once you use one you will never again go back to the "conventional" BC. There is just so much more freedom of movement, the simplicity of the system and security you feel when it is strapped on.

ID

I agree with Iguana Don here in that the Transpac II, for example, with cam straps and travel wings is a very comfortable single tank BC suitable for recreational diving... But I also agree with Mario that there isn't really a "universal" BC. As I mentioned in another post, I use a Seaquest Pro QD for most of my open water, for a number of personal reasons, and I dive a little tropical Explorer BC in really warm water - but when the drysuit goes on, it's the Transpac II I use. I also have an old Techni-Pro jacket I still use from time to time, when it's the best one for the dive. I do have one I don't use anymore - can't remember the name and I ain't diggin' through the garage to find out.
Rick

Aeger
Have you tried a backplate/harness? I think you will be pleasantly surprised. The increased feeling of a secure setup on your back, as Don mentioned, is substantial. I've got a Tusa and a Seaquest BC (both great BC's) that usually get borrowed by buddies now. I just have a hard time going back. Not trying to talk you out of anything, but it might be worth a look.

Thanks for the great replies guys. Notexactly what i wanted to hear but nevertheless i expected it. Understood, Rick. I guess that i need 2 BCs then really, but theres no way of affording that at the moment. Diverite transpac wings II just seem over the top for what i will be doing in the immediate future. Besides what would i do without pockets and integrated weight systems heh. Its probably good that i asked this question here on the boards since i was going to buy a superhawk NT today. I shyed away from the apex NX200 and diverite transpac II wings because they just looked way over the top i suppose. I will be getting into technical diving for definate but these wings just seem too , i suppose serious, for the diving i will be doing. I have never dived doubles before either. Dont get me wrong, i know the diverite wings are what i will need for double steelies, for example. To answer bio guy....no i havnt tried a backplate and harness before, i sort of thought that i would be lost without weight intergration and BC pockets. Ok ill ask a few more Q's if thats ok.

So how does a backplate and harness work to alleviate the weight from say double steel tanks? What are the main features/pluses in wearing a wing. One more thing...arnt the diverite II wings over the top for a single tank?

If you are diving steel tanks, you can use a Stainless Steel plate (-6lbs), that helps offset the weight. You will be surprised that you will not need much if any weight with a double steels.

I think Don was talking about a backplate and harness, not a DR transpac. The DR is nice, but you want something streamline and simple. The KISS idea works great. If you can find a good price on backplates w/o harness, then all you have to do is buy about 15 ft. of webbing, 5 D-Rings, 4 Tri Glides, weight belt buckel, and some inner tube to hold the back up lights one. If you buy that type of system, you could save some $$.

To Singles - If you still dive a single, you will need to get a smaller (17 lb, 27 lb) wing and a single tank adapter (STA). Also, look at the the new Halcyon Single tank wings, they have the cam bands welded into them already. Pretty slick.

Here are a few sites that sell backplates/wings and how to rig them:

http://www.extreme-exposure.com
http://www.dive-rite.com
http://www.gue.com
http://www.halcyon.net
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/
http://www.fifthd.com/gear/harness.html

Enjoy,
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom